The Next Day Part 4

Pony's POV

"I'm sick of all this. Sick and tired. Bob was a good guy. He was the best buddy a guy ever had. I mean,he was a good fighter and tuff and everything,but he was a real person too. You dig?" Randy asked. I nodded. "He's dead_his mother had had a nervous breakdown. They spoiled him rotten. I mean,most parents would be proud of a kid like that_good looking and smart and everything,but they gave in to him all the time. He kept trying to make someone say 'No' and they never did. They never did. That was what he wanted. For somebody to tell him 'No'. To have somebody lay down the law,set the limits,give him something solid to stand on. That's what we all want,really. One time...."_Randy tried to grin,but I could tell he was close to tears_"one time he came home drunker than anything. He thought sure they were gonna raise the roof. You know what the did? They thought it was something they'd done. They thought it was their fault_that they'd failed him and driven him in it or something. They took all the blame and didn't do anything to him. If his old man had just belted him_just once,he might still be alive. I don't know why am telling you this. I couldn't tell anyone else. My friends_they'd think I was off my rocker or turning soft. Maybe I am. I just know that I'm sick of this whole mess. And tonight....people get hurt in rumbles,maybe killed. I'm sick of it because it doesn't do any good. You can't win,you know that, don't you?" And when I remained silent he went on: "You can't win,even if you whip us. You'll still be where you were before_at the bottom. And we''ll still be the lucky ones with all the breaks. So it doesn't do any good,the fighting and the killing. It doesn't prove a thing. We'll forget it if you win,or if you don't. Greasers will still be greasers and Socs will still be Socs. Sometimes I think it's the ones in the middle that are really the lucky stuffs...." He took a deep breath. "So I'd fight if I thought it'd do any good. I think I'm going to leave town. Take my little old Mustang and all the dough I can carry and get out" Randy said. "Running away won't help" I said. "Oh,I know it" Randy half-sobbed,"but what can I do? I'm marked chicken if I pink out in a rumble,and I'd hate myself if I didn't. I don't know what to do" said Randy. "I'd help you if I could",I said. I remembered Cherry's voice:Things are rough all over. I knew then what she meant. He looked at me. "No you wouldn't. I'm a Soc. You get a little money and the whole world hates you" said Randy. "No,"I said,"you hate the world. He just looked at me_from the way he looked he could have been ten years older than he was. I got out of the car. "You would have saved those kids if you had been there", I said. "You'd have saved them the same  as we did". "Thanks grease",he said,trying to grin. Then he stopped. "I didn't mean that. I meant,thanks,kid" said Randy. "My name's Ponyboy",I said. "Nice talking to you,Randy". I walked over to Two-Bit,and Randy honked for his friends to come and get into the car. "What'd he want? What'd Mr. Super Soc have to say?" Two-Bit asked. "He ain't a Soc. He's just a guy. He just wanted to talk" I said. "You want to see a movie before we see Jasmine and Dallas?" Two-Bit asked. "Nope," I said lighting up another weed. Socs were just guys after all. Things were rough all over,but it was better that way. That way you could tell the other guy was human too. We went to go see Jasmine first. We were able to go straight in her room.

Jasmine's POV

A lot as happen these last few days. Wait didn't Randy have a talk with Pony already? I remembered that part in the book and about this time Pony and Two-Bit we're supposed to see Johnny in the hospital. But Johnny didn't get badly hurt. Dal is still in the hospital though. The next thing I know Pony,Johnny,and Two-Bit come into my room. I am so happy to see them. I haven't seen them in days. I wonder how they have been. "Hey Jasmine" said Pony. "Hi Jasmine" said Two-Bit. "Hey guys. I am really glad to see you guys" I said. "Pony,your hair still looks tough" I said. "Thanks I guess" said Pony. "Want us to get anything for you Jasmine?" Two-Bit asked. "No,I think am good" I said. "Am going to go get a new copy of Gone with the Wind. Be right back" said Pony. "Oh wait up. I will get it for you Pony. Johnny,want to come?" Two-Bit asked. "No am good" said Johnny. "Okay" said Two-Bit. With that Pony and Two-Bit left. "Hey Jasmine" said Johnny. "Hey Johnny" I said. It was silent for a few minutes then Johnny said"Thanks for saving me from the church. I could have been burned badly. I could have hurt my back or something. I really appreciate that" said Johnny. "Oh your welcome Johnny. I don't even know what the gang would have without you. I just did what was right. I think it would be better if you were alive then not" I said. "Thanks but I don't always feel like I belong in this world. I know everyone is here for a reason but I don't know why am here. Bit it was worth saving those kids from the burning church. There lives are worth more than mine" said Johnny. "Johnny don't ever feel like you don't belong in this world because you do. Maybe you don't know why right now but you well later and then you well think about an realized your glad you are still alive" I said. Johnny smiled at me. If only Johnny knew what would have happened if I didn't save him. Then Pony and Two-Bit came in. "Okay we should go see Dally right now. See you later Jasmine" said Pony. "See you guys later" I said. With that they left. The rumble is supposed to happen tonight too.

Pony's POV

Dally was arguing with one of the nurses when we came in. He grinned at us. "Man, I glad to see you! These hospital people won't let me smoke,and I want out!" Dally said. We sat down, grinning at each other. Dally was his usual mean,ornery self. He was okay. "Shepherd came by to see me a while ago" said Dally. "What'd he want?" I asked. "Said he saw my picture in the paper and couldn't believe it didn't have 'Wanted Dead or Alive' under it. He mostly came to rub it in about the rumble. Man,I hate not being in that" said Dally. Dally was grinning at me. "Kid,you scared me the other day. I thought I killed you" said Dally. "Me?" I said puzzled. "Why?". "When you jumped out of the church. I meant to hit you just hard enough to knock you down and put out the fire,but when you dropped like a ton of lead I thought I'd aimed to high and broke you neck" He thought for a minute. "I'm glad I didn't,though" said Dally. "I'll bet," I said with a grin. "Two-Bit,you still got that fancy black-handled switch?" Dally asked. "Yeah" said Two-Bit. "Give it here" said Dally. Two-Bit handed it over to Dally without a moments hesitation. "We gotta win that fight tonight" said Dally. He put the switch under his pillow and lay back,staring at the ceiling. We left. We knew better than to talk to Dally when his eyes were blazing and he was in a mood like that. We decided to catch a bus home. I just didn't fe much like walking or trying to hitch a ride Two-Bit left me sitting on the bench at the bus stop while he went to a gas station to buy some cigarettes. "You know,the only thing that keeps Darry from being a Soc is us" said Two-Bit. "I know" I said. I had known it for a long time. I was silent most of the way home. I was thinking about the rumble.  Cherry Valance was sitting in her Corvette by the vacant lot when we came. Her long hair was pinned up,and in daylight she was even better looking. That Sting Ray was one tuff car. A bright red one. It was cool. "Hi,Ponyboy. Hi,Two-Bit. Hi Johnny" said Cherry. Two-Bit stopped. Apparently Cherry had shown up there before during the week Johnny and I had spent in Windrixville. "What's up with the big-times?" Two-Bit asked. "They play your way. No weapons,fair deal. Your rules" said Cherry. "You sure," Two-Bit asked. She nodded. "Randy told me. He knows for sure, said Cherry. "Thanks Cherry" said Two-Bit. "Ponyboy,stay a minute" said Cherry. I stopped and went back to her car. "Randy's not going to show up at the rumble tonight" said Cherry. "I don't" I said. "He's not scared. He's just sick of fighting. Bob...." She swallowed,then went on quietly. "Bob was his best buddy. Since grease school" said Cherry.  "Can you see the sunset real good from the West Side?" I asked. She blinked,started,then smiled. "Real good" said Cherry. "You can see it good from the East Side,too" I said quietly. "Thanks Ponyboy. You dig okay" said Cherry. I went on,walking home.

Hey guys! I hope you liked this chapter. I am so sorry if this chapter was super long. I just didn't want to make a part 5 yo this chapter. This is the longest chapter I have ever made in this book. Probably the longest I have ever made. I just wanted the next chapter to be about the rumble. Also I am so sorry I haven't updated this book in two weeks. The weekend before last weekend I was busy and last weekend was Christmas weekend. Anyways,gave a good day. Stay Gold