Hospital

Pony's POV

When I came to,I was being bounced around,and I ached and smarted;and wondered dimly where I was. I tried to think but there was a high-pitched screaming going on,and I couldn't tell whether it was inside my head or out. Then I realized it was a siren. The fuzz,I thought dully. The cops have come for us. I tried to swallow a groan and wished wildly for Soda. Someone with a cold wet rag was gently sponging off my face,and a voice said, "I think he's coming around." I opened my eyes. It was dark. I'm moving,I thought. Are they taking me to jail? "Where....?" I said hoarsely,not able to get anything else out of my mouth. My throat was sore. I blinked at the stranger sitting beside me. But he wasn't a stranger....I'd seen him before...."Take it easy,kid. You're in an ambulance" he said. "Where's Johnny?" I cried, frightened at being in this car with strangers. "And Dallas,and Jasmine?" I asked. "There's in the other ambulance,right behind us. Just calm down. You're going to be okay. You just passed out" the man said. "I didn't either," I said in the bored,tough voice we reserved for strangers and cops. "Dallas hit me. How come?" I asked. "Because your back was in flames, that's why" the man said. I was surprised. "It was? Golly,I didn't feel it. It don't hurt" I said. "We put it out before you got burned. That jacket saved you from a bad burning,maybe saved your life. You just keeled over from smoke inhalation and a little shook_of course,that slap on the back didn't help much" the man said. I remembered who he was then_Jerry somebody-or-other who was too heavy to get in the window. He must be a school teacher,I thought. "Are you taking us to the police station?" I was still a little mixed up as to what was coming off. "The police station?" It was his turn to be surprised. "What would we want to take you to the police station for? We're taking you to the hospital" Jerry said. I let his first remark slide by. "Are Johnny,Dallas,and Jasmine all right" I asked. "Which one's which?" Jerry asked. "Johnny has black hair. Dally's the mean-looking one" I said. He studied his wedding ring. Maybe he's thinking about his wife,I thought. I wished he'd say something. "We think the towheaded kid is going to be all right. He burned one arm pretty badly,though,trying to drag Jasmine out the window. Johnny is okay. He got as hurt as you did. A piece of timber fell on Jasmine's arm as she was trying to get out of the church. She should be fine though. He must have seen the look in my face because he hurriedly changed the subject. "I swear,you four are the bravest kids I've seen in a long time. First you,the black haired kid,and Jasmine climbing in that window,and then the tough-looking kid going back in to save her. Mrs. O'Briant and I think you were sent straight from heaven. Or are you just professionals heros or something? Jerry asked. "No,we're greasers" I said. I was too worried and scared to appreciate the fact that he was trying to be funny. "You're what? Jerry asked. "Greasers. You know,like hoods,JD's. Johnny is wanted for murder,and Dallas has a record with the fuzz a mile long" I said. "Are you kidding me? Jerry asked. Jerry stared at me as if he thought I was still in shook or something. "I am not. Take me to town and you'll find out pretty quick" I said. "We're taking you to the hospital there anyway. The address card in your billfold said where you lived. Your name's really Ponyboy?" Jerry asked. "Yeah. Even on my birth certificate. And don't bug me about it. Are..."_I felt weak_,"are the little kids okay?" I asked. "Just fine. A little frightened maybe. There were some short explosions right after you all got out. Sounded just exactly like gunfire" said Jerry. Gunfire. There went our gun. And Gone with the Wind. We're we sent from heaven? I started to laugh weakly. I guess that guy knew how close to hysterics I really was,for he talked to me in a low soothing voice all the way to the hospital. I was sitting in the waiting room,waiting to hear how Dally and Jasmine were. Apparently,Johnny was hurt as bad as I was. Which,I had been checked over,and except for a few burns and a big bruise across my back,I was all right. I had watched them bring Dallas and Jasmine in on stretchers. Dally's eyes we're closed,but when I spoke he had tried to grin. "If you ever do that again,I'll beat the tar out of you" said Dallas. He was still swearing at me when they took him in. Jasmine was still not awake yet. I hope she ends up being okay. Jerry Wood had stayed with me all the time. He kept thanking me for getting the kids out. He didn't seem to mind our being hoods. I told him the whole story_starting at when Dallas,Johnny, Jasmine,and I met at the corner of Pickett and Sutton. I left out the part about the gun and our hitching a ride in the freight car. He was real nice about it and said that being heroes would help us out of trouble,especially since it was self-defense and all. I was sitting there,smoking a cigarette,when Jerry came back from making a phone call. He stared at me for a second. "You shouldn't be smoking" said Jerry. I was startled. "How come?" I looked at my cigarette it looked okay to me. I looked around for a "No Smoking" sign and couldn't find one. "How come?" I asked. "Why,uh" Jerry stammered,"uh,you're too young" said Jerry. "I am?" I had never thought about it. Everyone in our neighborhood,even girls, smoked. Except Darry,who was too proud of his athletic health to risk a cigarette,we had all started smoking at a early age. Jerry simply sighed and grinned. "There are some people here to see you. Claim to be your brothers or something" said Jerry.

Hey guys! I hope you liked this chapter. Sorry if it was a little too long. I just thought that right about there would be a good stopping point. Anyways,gave a good day. Stay Gold