Going to Windrixville

Johnny's POV

I can't believe I just killed someone. This would be the first. I don't like doing it either. What have I done? I hope things turn out fine at the end. I don't want anything to happen to my friends. It was for self-defense anyways.

Jasmine's POV

We pressed against the side,trying to hold our breath while we listened to the railroad workers walk up and down outside. One poked his head inside,and we froze. But he didn't see us,and the boxcar rattled as the train started up. "The first stop will be Windrixville", Johnny said laying the gun down gingerly. He shook his head. "I don't see why he gave me this. I couldn't shoot anybody" and Johnny. Johnny really did it. He really killed someone. I can't believe he really did. Johnny,who wouldn't hurt a living thing on purpose,had taken a human life. We were running away,with the police after us for murder and a loaded gun by our side. I can't believe this is really happening.

Pony's POV

I stretched out and used Johnny's legs for a pillow. Curling up,I was thankful for Dally's jacket. It was too big,but it was warm. Not even the rattling for the train could keep me awake,and I went to sleep in a hoodlums jacket with a gun lying next to my hand. I'd do anything for a pack of cigarettes. I was hardly awake when Johnny and I leaped off the train into a meadow. Not until I landed in the few and got wet shock did I realize what I was doing. Jasmine was right besides Johnny. Johnny must have woke me up and told me to jump,but I didn't remember it. We lay in the tall weeds and damp grass,breathing heavily. The dawn was coming. It was lighting the sky in the east and a ray of gold touched the hills. The clouds were pink and meadow larks were singing. This is the country,I thought half asleep. My dreams come true and I'm in the country. "Blast it, Ponyboy"_Johnny was rubbing his legs_"you must have put my legs to sleep. I can't even stand up. I barely got off that train" said Johnny. "I'm sorry. Why didn't you wake me up?" I asked. "That's okay. I didn't want to wake you up until I had to" said Johnny. "Now,how do we find Jay Mountain?" I asked. I was still groggy with sleep and wanted to sleep forever right there in the few and dawn. "Go ask someone. The story won't be in the paper yet. Make like a farm boy taking a walk or something" said Johnny. I looked at Jasmine and she was laughing at Johnny's statement. "I don't look like a farm boy" I said. I suddenly thought of my long hair,combed back,and the slouching stride I used from habit. I looked at Johnny. He didn't look like any farm boy to me. I looked down at my worn,faded blue jeans,my too-big shirt,and Dally's worn-out jacket. There'll know we're hoods the minute they see us,I thought. "I'll have to stay here. You go down the road and ask the first person you see where Jay Mountain is" said Johnny rubbing his legs. He winced at the pain in his legs. "Then come back. And for Pete's sake,run a comb through your and quit slouching down like a thug" said Johnny. I pulled out a comb from my back pocket and combed my hair carefully. "I guess I look okay now,huh,Johnny?" I asked. He was studying me. "You know,you look an awful lot like Sodapop,the way you've got your hair and everything. I mean,except your eyes are green" said Johnny. "They ain't green, they're gray" I said reddening. "And I look about as much like Soda as you do" I said. I got to my feet. "He's good-looking" I said. "Shoot,you are,too" Johnny said with a grin. I climbed over the barbed-wire fence without saying anything else. I heard Johnny laughing at me along with Jasmine,but I didn't care. I went strolling down the red dirt road,hoping my natural color would come back before I met anyone. I met a sunburned farmer driving a tractor down the road. I waved at him and he stopped. "Could you tell me where Jay Mountain is" I asked as politely as I could. He pointed on down the road. "Follow this road to that big hill over there. That's it. Taking a walk" he said. "Yes sir. We're playing army and I'm supposed to report to headquarters there" I said. "Boys will be boys" the farmer said with a grin. He went on and I walked back to where Johnny and Jasmine was waiting. We climbed up to the road to the church, although it was a lot farther away than it looked. The road got steeper with every step. I was feeling kind a drunk_I always do when I get too sleppy_and my legs got heavier and heavier. I guess Johnny was sleepier than I was_he had stayed awake on the train to make sure we got off at the right place. It took us about forty-five minutes to get there. We climbed in a back window. It was a small church,real old and spooky and spider webby. It gave me the creeps. I flopped down on the floor_and immediately decided not to do anymore flopping. That floor was stone,and hard. Johnny stretched out beside me,resting his head on his arm. I started to say something to him,but I drifted to sleep before I could get the words out of my mouth. But Johnny didn't notice. He was asleep,too.

Johnny's POV

It took us a long time to get the the church. I was really tried sense I didn't sleep on the train. If I went to sleep then I don't think we would have been here by now. I wonder what tomorrow will be like. I then drifted off to sleep.

Jasmine's POV

I can't believe we just did that. It still took awhile to get to the church. It took about forty-five minutes to get there. I remembered that from the book. I hope things ended up going smoothly from here and on out. Guess the next chapter that is happening is going to be chapter 5. Can't wait to find out what's happening tomorrow.

Hey guys!! I hope you liked this chapter. Sorry if it was a little too long. I thought it was going to be shorter. I also thought that some of these chapters were going to be a two part. Guess not though. Maybe some up coming ones though. Have a good day. Stay Gold