2. Manik Malhotra

Few hours later, On the other side of the city,

He woke up to his ringtone, which is his recent super hit music album and saw the caller, attended the call with the same sleepy tone.

“Manik” The person screamed on top of his lungs hearing his sleepy tone.

“Aahh…Don’t shout Cabir…” Manik said being annoyed and sat by resting his back to the headboard.

“Bro…It’s already 1PM…” Cabir said.

“Haan toh…?? Is there a rocket launch…??” Manik asked while rubbing his eyes.

“Bad joke…But yeah…You have a restaurant launch in the evening…Remember…??” Cabir asked.

“It’s your duty to check my schedule…Isn’t it…??” Manik asked in the same sarcastic tone.

“And that’s why I have called you…I have to ask your designer to send you an outfit…I have been calling you from past 2 hours…” Cabir cribbed.

“God…Cabir…I had a night shoot and slept at 5 in the morning…Now stop cribbing and come to the point…”

“Any colour in your mind for the day…??” Cabir asked.

“White…Anything else…??” He asked making his way out of the bed.

“Nope…I will ask her to send it to your place by 4PM…Get ready by 5…It’s actually an hour travel but we have to start early due to traffic…I will come to pick you…You can’t take your car…Okay…?” Cabir dictated to which Manik simply said “Okay” and went to freshen up.

He went to kitchen to get a cup of hot water and dropped a lemon tea bag in it and took his personal mobile. He dialled his mother while sipping his lemon tea and he finished it when the call went unanswered. He then started his thread mill and jogged for 30minutes when his phone rang.

“Hello Maa…” He said while wiping the sweat off with a towel.

“Hello Manu…Sorry…I was in the kitchen…” His mother said while arranging the table.

“It’s okay Maa…” He said while taking fresh pair of tracks and tee from his cupboard.

“Did you have your lunch…??” She asked and he didn’t reply.

“Manu…Eat properly…Your sister has shown me your recent photoshoot pictures…You became so lean…as if you were starving from months…” She complained.

“Practically that’s the truth…and Maa…It’s for 6 pack…” He reasoned.

“Whatever it is…Just eat well…I don’t know anything about what you do…but until you are healthy and happy, I’m fine with whatever you do…” His mother said making him sigh.

“Okay…Bye Maa…” He said and cut the call and went to freshen up.

Manik Malhotra, 28-year-old, from an upper middle class family, finished his engineering and MBA just because of his father’s order. He has found his interest in music when he was in his 3rd year and learnt till he finished his MBA. His friend’s friend suggested Manik’s name for a short film and there it was. His first opportunity as a composer and he proved his best with that single track which reached millions. His close friends suggested him to attend auditions that were going on at a place nearby and he went to try his luck. His luck was actually in favour as the director selected him for the new daily soap. Soon, he became a household name but also increased his passion towards acting, side lining his first interest, music. His path changed from music to acting from past 5 years, earning him a lot of fans for his good looks. But his main dream of becoming a music composer or a movie hero seemed to be far away until a web series from renowned channel happened. It was massive hit of last year and earned him many more opportunities right from music albums to web series to advertisements.

Manik’s family is no way related to media and social life. Theirs was a happy family of four, his mother, homemaker, his father, retired government employee, his elder sister, happily married and has a baby girl of 2years. He is the only out of the box person in the family who came into media and so he has decided to keep his private life, private. So private that he not even mentions their names or posts their pictures in his professional page of any social media. But he has a personal mobile which only has his family contacts, not even his friends and personal social media accounts with his nick name ‘Aarav’ to see posts and tweets about him. Likewise, his family never follows his professional accounts and neither knows his other phone number.

His only connect who has his both professional and personal numbers is his friend cum manager Cabir. He is the only person on whom Manik can rely on for anything in his life. Being friends from past 10years, Manik trusts Cabir with his life and Cabir is protective of Manik. Cabir who happens to take care of his family business, also takes care of upcoming actors’ schedules as he is just interested in cine field. He was the one who suggested Manik to concentrate on acting for a while and then can use his fame for music composing. After all, he knew how the industry works. ‘One must grab the opportunity that comes your way to survive in this industry’ he always says.

Walking out of the restroom after having his long shower, Manik wore his tracks and headed towards kitchen as his stomach growled due to hunger. He kept the brown bread slices in the toaster and put an egg on the heated pan and sprinkled a pinch of pepper effortlessly while toaster made a sound with crunchy bread popping out of it and placed them in a plate and took the omelette too once it’s done. Munching on his untimely meal, he scrolled through his fan pages in Instagram and checked his #ManikMalhotra in twitter.

Once done, he looked around his rented 2BHK and thought he will miss this home soon. He has saved enough to buy a 3BHK villa which he has already bookmarked from his friend’s venture. A little amount more to get the house furnished and do the needed corrections, he can go ahead with the registration and move in to his new house. The thought of his own house gave himself a satisfaction of achieving something in his life.

Time passed and it was 4PM when his doorbell rang and as he expected it was from his stylist Aliya who has got his outfit for the evening. She knew his fashion sense and what he can carry well. He trusts her with his outfits and costumes and has seen her work from past 3 years as she has worked with few other artists.

“Hey Manik…” She chirped while entering and he reciprocated with a warm smile and she handed him the packed shirt.

“So here you go…This goes well with your black checked trousers…” She said and he opened the box to see and full hand white shirt, a patch work of little black stars done at his left chest, to make it different from his usual white shirts.

“Simple and classy…” He said being impressed with the work and went to try it. He paired it with the trousers she has mentioned and came out to show her.

“Perfect…Go with your grey loafers and black strap watch…Check if you feel okay with tucking in the shirt…” She said looking at the outfit and then at him. He nodded with a smile and she bid bye while he thanked her for the last minute preparation, just for him.

He got a call from Cabir that he is on the way to pick him up and said “You better be prepared for the crowd…”

Manik chuckled on hearing that and said “Don’t be silly…There will be hardly 50 to 60 members…That’s it…I’m not a star to have a crowd for a simple restaurant opening…They have called me just because I’m a known face from past year…”

Cabir didn’t answer but cut the call saying he was about to reach but thought ‘You will realize your worth really soon buddy…’