☆ 2.14 ~ moonlight

puts his lips on my neck
makes me want to give him my body
i be fallin' for you, baby and i just can't stop
~ ariana grande, moonlight

When Lydia awoke in the morning, she was greeted by an empty bed which caused her to frown. One of her favourite parts of the day was waking up with Kol since he often slept longer than she did. She would curl up at his side and just lay in his arms till he awoke. Occasionally she would go get something to eat if he was sleeping late and would return to bed after eating. But this morning Kol had gotten up extra early to take care of something. He had been working on it for the past few days, trying to perfect it as much as he could because today was incredibly special and he knew that he couldn't disappoint. Not only was it Valentine's Day, but it also happened to be the day the person he loved more than anything was born.

With all that she had been going through, however, Lydia had completely lost track of time which was why when she glanced in the direction of the bedroom door and saw her boyfriend standing there holding a bouquet of her favourite flowers, she was a bit confused.

"Good morning, darling," Kol greeted her with a small smile, pulling away from the door frame and walking towards her, coming around her side of the bed and sitting down on the edge.

"What's this for?" Lydia wondered, but still accepted the pink peonies that he handed to her.

"Am I not allowed to buy my lady gifts on her birthday?" Kol raised his eyebrows while Lydia just furrowed hers.

"Today isn't my birthday?" Lydia sounded confused as she tilted her head to the side and squinted at Kol."My birthday is February fourteenth. Also known as Valentine's Day."

"That is today, darling," Kol chuckled at Lydia, finding it amusing that she didn't know what the date was or that it was even her birthday.

Still not believing him, Lydia reached for her phone on her nightstand, grabbing it and checking the date but she didn't even have to. The text messages from Rae, Caroline, Tyler, and Stefan were enough to clarify that it was indeed her birthday.

Lydia's eyes widened slightly as she realized that it was her birthday, but the day didn't exactly bring that much joy if she was being honest. She couldn't remember the last time she enjoyed celebrating it."Oh well, it's not that important you don't-" Lydia didn't want it to seem as if she expected him to do something big but he interrupted her.

"Do not be ridiculous, it is important," Kol dismissed her comment."I already planned this weekend. All you have to do is get dressed and meet me downstairs. And before that, kiss me and tell me you love me."

Lydia bit down on her bottom lip, trying to do hide the smile that threatened to appear but she just gave up and leaned forward, pressing a quick kiss against his lips."I love you."

Just as Kol was about to respond, there was a loud knock at the door and considering the person didn't wait for a response before entering, Kol knew exactly who it was.

"Hello, lovely," Rebekah greeted Lydia, holding a small box in her hand covered with pink decorative wrapping paper and a silver bow."Happy birthday."

"Thank you," Lydia responded almost instantly, accepting the box that Rebekah handed her. The next thing Lydia knew, Kol was being pushed to the side so that Rebekah could take his place. He rolled his eyes, but he didn't comment.

"I visited a perfumery a little while ago," Rebekah shared with her."It was one of those ones where you describe the person you are buying something for and they pick a scent that matches you. It is rose with black current and bergamot. It is meant for someone strong and elegant. I hope you like it."