☆ 6.9 ~ us

after the wreckage
after the dust
i still hear the howling, i still feel the rush
over the riots, above all the noise
through all the worry, i still hear your voice
~ james bay, us

25 comments until the next chapter
question of the chapter: what's your fav tvdu ship?

When Lydia opened her eyes, she was met by a familiar ceiling. It was one that she had stared up at for months in the prison world, but even before that. Years before that. When she would spend time in the Salvatore's house and lay on their couch or fall asleep. It surprised Lydia. She thought that she would be waking up in the hospital, in the operating room with Bonnie, Kai, and Damon standing over her. One of those things was true. She wasn't alone when she woke up. Slowly, Lydia sat up, noticing that Damon was sitting beside her, looking over at her, letting out a small sigh of relief.

"Is. . . Is it over?" Lydia asked, placing her hands down on the cushion. It felt like she had only been knocked out a few seconds ago, but she had no way of confirming it.

To her surprise, Damon shook his head."No. You're still in surgery."

Lydia furrowed her brow. If she was in surgery, she doubted that she would be sitting on a couch."What? Then how am-"

"When you aren't a psychic, your mind isn't all that hard to get into Starry Eyes," Damon told her with a small shrug. A fact that Lydia didn't like.

"So we're in my mind?" Lydia raised her eyebrows, wanting to make sure that she knew what was going on and had all the correct information. Damon nodded his head slowly to confirm, but that meant something else."So it's just Bonnie and Kai?"

"Don't worry, they've got this," Damon assured her."Well, Bonnie does. I thought I'd keep you company. Keep you from freaking out in here all alone."

"I think I'd just be unconscious if you weren't here," Lydia reminded him, causing him to smile a bit, but he didn't respond to her."You know you shouldn't be here. I'd rather you be out there with Bonnie than her being alone with Kai. And I'd rather not have Kai anywhere near me. He seemed pretty eager to slice me open as he would say."

"So you'd rather Kai be here with you?" Damon raised his eyebrows.

"Okay, not really," Lydia admitted. Kai was a new level of irritating."But I'm fine being alone."

"Sure, it's not like you were freaking out or anything," Damon rolled his eyes playfully.

"I was not freaking out, and even if I was I think my concerns were valid!" Lydia defended herself. Most people would probably not agree to what Lydia agreed to.

"You were crying," He pointed out.

"No I wasn't!" Lydia exclaimed.

"Just a little bit," He added, making Lydia roll her eyes in response.

"Did you come here just to aggravate me?" Lydia huffed in annoyance. She was beginning to wonder if it was possible to kick Damon out of here. Or at least make him shut up. Though a small part of her didn't want to be alone."You know, it's funny. We went from a world where it was just the four of us, to a place where it's not the two of us. A prison inside of a prison."

Damon cracked a smile, but didn't say anything. Lydia didn't either. She didn't know how to talk to Damon one on one. They had spoken a few times over the last few months, but it had been brief, and always awkward. Usually they needed Bonnie around.

Lydia didn't really understand Damon. They used to get along, before she met Kol. Even after she met him, he was alright for a little bit. Until Lydia learned who Kol was and still wanted to be with him. Then he compelled Lydia to think she killed him and sent her away. When that didn't work, he brought Jace back in hopes that it would affect her relationship with Kol. Then he wanted to kill Jace and helped her. Lydia wasn't sure where she stood. Did he care about her or no? If he didn't, there was no way he'd be here with her. He wouldn't have come got her to stay at the Salvatore Boarding House with him. All of what happened between them happened years ago. Maybe he learned.