☆ 5.12 ~ iris

you can't fight the tears that ain't coming
or the moment of truth in your lies
when everything feels like the movies
yeah, you bleed just to know, you're alive
~ goo goo dolls, iris

you can't fight the tears that ain't comingor the moment of truth in your lieswhen everything feels like the moviesyeah, you bleed just to know, you're alive~ goo goo dolls, iris

30 comments until next chapter!

Lydia sat up straight in her makeup chair, staring at her reflection in the mirror as she ran the dark red lipstick along her bottom lip. She didn't care about how she looked. If anything, she hated this look that she had chosen for herself. The bold makeup, the perfect curls and revealing outfits that Lydia used while her humanity was off were beautiful. She could admit that. Had she worn them any other time, she would've loved it. Now all she saw when she looked in the mirror was someone she didn't recognize. Someone capable of hurting the people she loved. She hated this version of herself. But she hated herself without these frivolous, meaningless accessories that she used to create a more intimating persona for herself even more.

When she arrived back at her apartment and saw her own reflection in her room, she didn't look like herself. She looked a mess. She couldn't stand that. She thought that fixing her look would help her figure it out, help her recognize herself, but it didn't. The more she changed her appearance, the less she recognized her reflection, because she realized there wasn't a version of herself that she knew. There was only one. It didn't matter how she altered her appearance, she was the same person inside. The same person who hurt her friends. Hurt her family. The person who killed Kol.

Lydia knew that she could never make up for what she did. She could never be forgiven, but that didn't mean she couldn't try to correct some of her mistakes. Slowly, Lydia ran her hands along the skirt covering her thighs as she stood from the chair. She had tried to pick a more comfortable outfit, reminding herself that she would need a new wardrobe. Again.

Lydia made her way out of her bedroom and down the hallway, into the kitchen. Her breath hitched as she saw Katherine sitting on one of the bar stools. This wasn't a surprise. Lydia invited her over, but now was when things were going to change. Lydia has to change them.

"I have never been much of a team player, but even I know that cooperation requires communication," Katherine commented, causing Lydia to roll her eyes, but she spoke before Katherine could add anything else.

"Well, after last nights win, I decided to celebrate," Lydia informed her, regaining her confidence and stepping further into the kitchen."It really was more of a one woman effort, so I didn't see why we needed to jointly revel in my victory."

"That was made possible for my retrievement of the white oak," Katherine reminded her, almost bitterly.

"Which is why I changed my mind and decided that you and I should have our own small celebration," Lydia nodded her head as she heard the sound of footsteps behind her. Soon, one of the staff members Lydia hired appeared at their side with a tray of two glasses of champagne that Lydia requested before she went up to her room.