☆ 6.22 ~ you are enough

When we woke up, the world was figured out
Beyond the beauty we've dreamt about
This brilliant light is brighter than we've known
Without our darkness to prove it so
~ sleeping at last, you are enough

15 comments until the next chapter
question of the chapter: who's your least favourite character in the tvdu?

"I can't believe we traveled thousands of miles for a necklace."

Lydia pursed her lips as she looked up from the menu that she held in her hand and up at her husband, narrowing her eyes at him. Instantly, his face fell before he forced a smile onto his lips.

"But of course, I would go anywhere for you," He corrected himself, causing Lydia to smile a bit while he leaned across the table and planted a kiss on her cheek before sitting back down on his chair.

She sighed and placed the menu down on the wooden table, glancing around the restaurant that they stopped at to grab some breakfast before they headed to where they needed to go to retrieve the item that she had replaced.

"You're the one that brought it up," Lydia reminded him.

"When I asked you what you did with the necklace I gifted you eleven years ago, I did not expect that we would be traveling to California from New Zealand," Kol corrected, reminding her of a conversation they had a few days ago while they were on the plane to head back to the U.S.

Seven years ago, Lydia and Kol left to travel the world. They initially planned to start in Italy, but decided to go to Argentina instead. They worked their way through South America, the Caribbean, and Central America before heading to Europe. From there, they went through Asia and then ended up in New Zealand. They flew home occasionally. Most Christmases they returned to Mystic Falls. Also for Elena and Stefan's wedding, to help their friends with their troubles here and there. A few times Lydia had to go to New York. Sometimes Kol came with her, other times he didn't. Elijah and Rae had joined them while they were in Brazil, and Camille and Klaus in Italy. But that was years ago. Lydia and Kol hadn't seen any of them in two years.

Overall, the last few years had been amazing for them. They were happy. They didn't have anything to worry about, they were free to do what they wanted. They didn't have to live in fear of losing one another. It was the longest time that either of them had been happy for. No pain. No supernatural drama. No loss.

Then during one dinner in New Zealand, on their wedding anniversary, Kol had asked what happened to the necklace that he gave to her for her nineteenth birthday. The one that he held on to for centuries. Lydia no longer wore it. Kol didn't mind. But she did realize that she didn't even know where it was. She had Rae and Elena look through her things back home but it wasn't there. If it wasn't in New York or Mystic Falls and Lydia knew for a fact she didn't bring it with her when they left, there was only one other place it could be. Lydia already called the facility she stayed at after turning her humanity back on. She remembered leaving some stuff there. As it turned out, they had put her stuff into storage when they weren't able to reach her.

"Well, it's important to me that I find it," Lydia informed him."It's the first meaningful gift you gave me."

"I don't love the idea of you going back there," Kol admitted. He hadn't seen Lydia when she was staying in California, but from what he gathered it wasn't good.

"I'll be fine, I can handle myself and I'm over what happened," Lydia assured him."I'll be in and out and you can come with me. Besides, what they did didn't help me but it did help Alyssa and so many other people. Why are you rolling your eyes?"