☆ 6.2 ~ hymn for the departed

take a bow, you were amazing.
i hope that i am wrong somehow,
yeah i pray to god i'll see you someday
but i will say goodbye for now
~ dave thomas junior, hymn for the departed

i hope that i am wrong somehow,yeah i pray to god i'll see you somedaybut i will say goodbye for now~ dave thomas junior, hymn for the departed

30 comments until the next chapter
question of the chapter: do you think it's fair for klaus to be blamed for lydia's death?

Lydia always used to say that no one in Mystic Falls would ever miss her when she died. Her family tried to assure her that it wasn't true, that there would be many people who would miss her if something were to happen to her. Elena remembered telling her that wasn't true. She would be missed. By her, by Jeremy, and by her friends. But Lydia said that wasn't what she meant. She knew that her friends would miss her, but it wouldn't be like when other members of the town died. She wouldn't get a memorial, or a big funeral, she wouldn't even get a mention at a school assembly. If anyone did show up to a funeral, they would forget about her the next day. None of Lydia's friends wanted to believe that she was right. But she was.

The Mikaelsons wanted to have Lydia's funeral in New Orleans. Klaus claimed that she was a member of their family and should be buried where they were. But Lydia's family disagreed. Maybe if Lydia was still close with the Mikaelsons, they'd be willing to have the funeral in New Orleans. But she wasn't. Elena was willing to have the funeral there if that was what Kol wanted, but when she asked he just said that neither place was a home to Lydia. So they weren't going to bury her in Mystic Falls either. Which was a good thing, seeing as it wasn't possible for them to be there when she was buried if that's what they decided on. Her body would be put to rest in a place that Kol had chosen. He hadn't said where it was yet. They were all placing faith in him that he knew what he was doing.

And having faith in him wasn't easy. Ever since he learned of her death, Kol had locked himself in Lydia's room at her house with Rae and Alyssa. He didn't speak to his siblings at all, not to yell at them or to cry with them. According to Elijah, Kol just left after they told him. Apparently the siblings did it together. After that, no one heard from him for a few days before he showed up at Lydia's house with Rae and Alyssa.

He tried to help them get Lydia back and stuck with them through the mess that was the travellers and the fall of the Other Side. With it fell Lydia, and Bonnie as well. It had been a rough few weeks. But they finally had to admit defeat and put Lydia to rest. Unfortunately, with the anti-magic border up, they were unable to have the funeral itself in Mystic Falls. Instead it was held right outside.

Elena wiped a stray tear with her finger tip. She couldn't count the amount of times she had stood in this same spot in front of a casket in a funeral home, or in a graveyard. First her parents, then Jenna, John, Lydia the first time, then Jeremy. Now it was Lydia again. She glanced down at the letter that she held in her hand. It was from Lydia. Elena lost track of the amount of times she read it.