☆ 4.19~ the power of love

the power of love
a force from above a sky scraping dove
flame on burn desire
love with tongues of fire
purge the soul
make love your goal
~ gabrielle aplin

the power of lovea force from above a sky scraping doveflame on burn desirelove with tongues of firepurge the soulmake love your goal~ gabrielle aplin

Lydia had to admit that the Mikaelsons knew how to throw a party, even if she wasn't the biggest fan of them. She guessed that a thousand years of experience and all the money in the world helped them to do so. The main foyer where many gathered was decorated beautifully. Rebekah had swapped out some of the more traditional Christmas colours like red and green for more elegant ones, like silver and gold. The lights were strong out along the railing of the staircase and the doorways to the other rooms and hallways. There was a delicate scent of cinnamon in the room, though Lydia didn't know where it was coming from since none of the hors d'ouvres contained any, but even those smelt delicious when a waiter would walk by Lydia holding a tray.

Still, Lydia was a little bit nervous. It was her first time attending such a refined and proper event. She had been invited to the ball the Mikaelsons threw the year prior to celebrate their reunited family. That evening ended in all of the siblings being linked so that their mother could kill them. Lydia was hoping that this one would end on a much more pleasant night, but one good thing did come from it.

Last time, Lydia was invited, she turned down his invitation and stayed home, only to end up in the parking lot because she needed her "medication" from Elena's car. Kol met her outside and she would never forget that conversation. It was the first real one she had in a while. One where she felt heard. Back then, things were so different. She just met Kol. She didn't know about vampires, she wasn't one, and she didn't know the Mikaelsons.

Now things were different. She wasn't at the Mikaelson Ball as a guest, but as a host and as a part of the family. Still, Lydia felt out of place at these type of events, like she didn't belong. She wasn't even entirely sure about her dress. She spent so much time fussing over Rebekah's that she hadn't gotten one for herself. She just happened to have this one in her closer and threw it on. It was a beautiful, but simple silver dress that flowed nicely around her frame. She didn't even know where she got it from, she just found it in a box on top of one of the shelves in her closet.

"Was this the type of event where you bring gifts?" Sammy's voice spoke from behind Lydia, causing her to turn around.

"No, it's just a party," Lydia shook her head, relieved that her friend from college had showed up.

"Good, because I wouldn't even know what to bring for these people," Sammy said as he glanced around the foyer that was filled with people and Christmas decorations. Guests chatted among each other while waiters served champagne and appetizers.

"It isn't easy," She agreed, thinking about her shopping with Elena the previous night. She ended up being successful, but only after having nearly bought out several stores trying to find what could be the perfect gift for each of them.