Chapter 138

Chapter 138 - National Competition - Assassin End

If Vantico's teacher had been able to look at the scene from the same point of view, he would have been able to figure out what Odin was doing.

This style of play, which seemed a little like bullying children, was actually a type of psychological tactics that was used when dealing with young assassins.

There was a kind of psychology called 'learned helplessness'.

If a puppy had been tied firmly to a box from birth and unable to get out, then when it grew up, even if the chain had been removed, and it could walk out of the box simply by lifting its legs, it wouldn't lift its legs, because it was too used to its own helplessness and had learned not to resist it.

The same was true for young assassins. Before they went out to face real blood and real attacks, they learned how to 'exercise', how to break their opponents' moves, and how to perform best within an instructive combat framework. When they finally reached the battlefield, the training practice would soon fade away. This kind of training was more like weaning and would soon become completely replaced by the fighting instinct honed by life and death, blood and fire.

When it came to this point, Vantico had really lost.

He'd never experienced this kind of life-and-death contest before. He'd always been doing simulation training. Although video games could be cruel, it was just like what Odin had been able to see with a glance--e-sport contestants would be given applause when they won, and if they lost, all they had to do was pat off their buttocks and go home. And even if they simply went home, they wouldn't have to worry about survival or starvation.

Like this, with only the mentality of longing for victory, wealth, success, and so on, it was far from enough; only the mentality of longing to live was enough to crush all helplessness, laziness, fear, and despair--people had to experience suffocation in the water in order to cherish the ability to swim; they had to experience blood loss to feel the shock of making a mistake, forcing them to try their best to avoid injury in battle. They had to experience exposure to the desert sun and live on the verge of death in order to learn to do anything in order to obtain resources for survival.

Without the pressure for survival and with only the temptation of a snack, the dog would never jump out of the box.

Bullying such a puppy was very simple. Take out a box, and put it inside. It would sit inside helplessly and start barking.

Vantico had already become a little confused from the fight.

When he hadn't understood Odin's fighting style, his own style could be said to have been fierce or reckless, and he hadn't been afraid to try his best to strive for opportunities, but after he had realized what Odin was doing, he had suddenly become entangled and indecisive.

"Vantico took another step back! And, he used Bow Walk!" The commentator wasn't clear on what was happening, so he guessed, "It seems that Vantico's health levels have fallen below his psychological expectations, so he's now beginning to take on a more cautious play style?"

This didn't seem to make much sense, but the audience no longer cared about this. The public screen was now full of crazy comments, "Don't cower, just charge! Vanvan!"

"Why isn't Lord Four hiding himself? It's clear that his cooldowns have always been available. Quickly take the initiative to fight until you win!"

"Vanvan! What are you dazed for, 'Wind Pressure' has been cut off, but you still have 'Water Sword'! If you can't win with blade fighting, you still have other techniques that you can take out. It's time to give full play to the 'Mysterious Hand's real strength!"