Welcome to Berkeley University!

College.

According to everyone, it's the best 4 years of your life. It's where you'll find all your lifelong friends and future husband. You'll all grow old together as you watch your thousand and something grandkids playing in the sprinklers.

For me, it's only been 2 hours and I'm already about to end it all. Currently, I'm standing in the lobby of my supposed dorm with two suitcases, a backpack, and a trunk full of clothes. Turns out, after my mom dropped me off, and kissed me to death, the dorm people lost all paperwork of my application, meaning I have no room here.

If my home wasn't over 16 hours away, I would have told my mom to break left and come pick me up. But, seeing as I'm 18 years old and need to face my problems, I deal with this on my own. Which is why I'm here, standing in the lobby waiting for someone, anyone to help me out.

"Elizabeth Pratt. I'm looking for an Elizabeth Pratt." I quickly wave my hand around like a propellor. It could have taken flight if it wasn't attached to my arm.

"Yes, that's me," I answer.

"Fantastic. What seems to be the problem?" From the way her tongue sticks to the roof of her mouth, I can tell she has a lisp. Besides that minor setback, she's beautiful. Curly red hair that reminds you of Strawberry Shortcake, rosy-filled cheeks, and a smile that could blind a person. On her nametag, it reads Jenny.

"Well, I showed up here around 20 minutes ago to check-in, when I went up to the desk, they said that my name wasn't on the list for a room. I told them I sent in my application, and application fee when it was due. I- I just don't understand what went wrong." Her lips purse up as if she's thinking of what to say.

There are a few things I want to say, such as take pity on me and give me a room. My legs are tired, back is hunched over like Quasimodo, I don't think I can take much more devastation. She catches my attention once she starts talking again, "You said you sent it in on the day it was due?"

I nod.

Then, a look that no one wants to see on a person's face, pity. "On the day of application fees and applications being due, our system was shut down, so anyone who sent it in during that time didn't get sent through. You should've gotten an email about it, we sent one out."

Damn. Damn. Damn.

I don't know about other Americans, but I NEVER check my emails. If you want me to see something, text or call me. What is this, 2003! Emails are only used for weirdos trying to sell you a sex product and coupons you're never going to use. This whole responsibility shit is a trip. I'm this close from walking out and rolling down the hill I saw when my mom drove me down here. Maybe it'll sweep me down a river and a wild bear will rip me to shreds. Hopefully, it's Yogi the bear.

"This is... fantastic." I smile the brightest smile out there; I hope she notes my use of sarcasm. "So, what do I do now?"

"Since we are all booked, you'll have to either wait for someone to give up their room or find someplace to stay for the time being. I'm sorry." I could tell she was sincere. "Is there anyone you can call?"

I sigh, "Oh, there's someone, I just don't know if she's the best choice."

✏️✏️✏️✏️

After trekking my belongings onto Foothill Hall's lawn, I plant my butt on my baby blue trunk and whip out my phone. To my luck, it's only got 20% of battery left, and to top the fucking cake, I left my phone charger at home. Come on, where's that bear? I can use a good bite to the face right now.

My fingers reluctantly dial the number of the last person I want to call. Rings fill my ear; I huddle my body close to me as my eyes roam over my belongings. I don't want anyone to snatch anything of mine, I heard college kids are thieves.

Once she doesn't answer, I keep calling and calling. Oh, she better answer this phone, or I'll walk down to her house myself and beat her ass. On the eighth ring, she answers. "Hello." A groggy voice comes over the phone.

"Hey, it's me," I answer.

"Who's me?" You've got to be kidding me, right?

"Bridget, It's Eliza? Remember me, your sister." For a moment I don't hear any sound, then, like a firecracker her voice booms through the phone.

"Eliza! Hell, I knew it was you I was just razzing you." Righhhhht. I roll my eyes. "Why are you calling me so early?"