First day of class

Elizabeth's POV-

"Hello young pupils, and welcome to Intro to Ethics." Everyone moans and groans. It's 9 in the morning, the sun is just coming out and my body is running off of adrenaline. I didn't sleep well last night, Bridget kept me up with her snoring. I was so close to smothering her, so close.

Since Daniel went to work early this morning, he offered me a ride to campus. I told him I would be fine walking, it was only a couple of blocks, but he interjected and said there was no way he was letting me walk in the dark. 

I'm a bit off since I wasn't able to grab a coffee, the shop's line was wrapped around the corner. Turns out, it's the only coffee shop on campus, what sense does that make. You have a bunch of zombie students circling the campus, you could at least get more than one coffee shop. 

I focus my attention on my professor, "This class will be all about challenging your minds. The introduction to the philosophical study of morality, including the theory of right and wrong behavior, the theory of value, and the theory of virtue and vice." AKA, I'm going to make you read articles from Greek philosophers from 500 years ago and make you find the meaning behind them. God, this class is going to be so boring. 

"I placed a notecard on your desk, write your name, major, and why you came to college." Rifling through my bag, I take out a pen and began doing the assignment. The name and major are easy to write, but why did I come to college?

I can already tell you what my classmates are going to say. It will be the following:

1. I came to college because I wanted a new experience.

2. I came to college to challenge myself.

3. I came to college to further my education.

So generic.

I find my answer, "I came to college because I want a good-paying job, so I don't have to struggle to pay my bills." It may seem shallow, but it's true. The only way to be comfortable in America is going to college, and even then.

I feel someone nudge my arm, "Hey, do you by any chance have a pen I can borrow?" A black-haired girl with grey eyes and pouty lips asks me. 

"Oh yeah, sure." I hand her the red pen next to my phone.

"Thank you." 

Five minutes go by and our professor starts walking around the room collecting our notecards, I hand him mine. His eyes glaze over some of them, he laughs at some, shakes his head at the others. 

"You all gave generic responses, the simple, I came to college because my parents made me. The class starts to snicker. "But, some of your responses stood out to me and I would like to read them."

"This first one is from Hannah Jones, where's Hannah?" In the far-left corner, a pale hand raises, all our attention turns to her. "Your major is engineering, good Hannah we need more women engineers. The reason you came to college is to expand your mind. Good job, everyone claps for Hannah." The room erupts in applause, she blushes and tells us thank you. 

He reads a few more responses, one guy named Elliot, majoring in nursing, said he came to college to cure people. Now, how could you hate that?

Somehow, maybe the universe hates me, the professor finds my response and decides to read it. "This last one is from an Eliza Pratt, where are you at Eliza?" I sigh and raise my hand. "Ah yes, there you are. You're majoring in chemistry, and your statement, for why you went to college, was because you want a good-paying job, so you don't have to struggle to pay your bills." I hear a couple of "Yeah's" and "that makes sense."

"So, you believe the only way to make good money is to go to college?" I nod my head. "Some people who don't go to college or dropped out after two years are still successful. Such as Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Coco Chanel, and even Sean Combs. What do you have to say to that?" Everyone in the class turns to me, oh god I just wanted to sit in the back and chew on my pen that's currently running out of ink, I just bought this thing.

"Yeah, you are right, one doesn't have to go to college to be successful. Also, not everyone can start a billion-dollar business either. For us regular folk, we have to go to college, to live a comfortable life." He absorbs my words.

"THAT!" Everyone jumps. "That is what I want to hear, a real and raw answer to my question. It was blunt and honest. Eliza, good job."

The class continues with our professor telling us about the syllabus, what he expects from us and how we should be in class every day. If we're not, then we need to email him. Again, with this email.

"Ok class, see you all next week." Students picking up their stuff and walking out of the room sounds around us. As I grab my black crossbody and proceed behind my exhausted classmates, someone taps me on the shoulder. I turn around to see the girl I lent my pen to.

"Here's your pen." I grab it from her hand, my foot is one step out the door, but from the look on her face, she wanted to say more. 

"Yes?"

Her voice comes out too loudly, "You did well in there, I liked your explanation." 

I shrug my shoulders, "It was nothing." 

A bunch of students is standing in front of us, one guy, I believe it was Elliot, has a scowl on his face. Better move out the way before he bulldozes me and pen girl over. "Let's go outside," I suggest. 

She trails behind me, her body oozes the smell of roses and berries. Does a rose even have a smell? If it did, it would be her smell. Her black hair is in a braid on her shoulder, she's wearing jeans and a t-shirt that says, "girls rule the world." A piercing is lodged into her nose, pretty radical.

"I'm Jill, by the way. I don't really know anyone here, and it gets awkward being alone. My roommate is a total slut, she has guys in our room every night, and it's only been a couple of days." I mean, what do you say to that?

I laugh, "Hey, I'd rather have a slutty roommate than have to live with my sister." 

"Wanna switch?" She jokes. "Anyway, I'm stopping by the coffee shop for a little boost, want to join?" I was going to head by the cafeteria, see if I can get an apple or banana, and chill there until my next class starts, but this could be fun. College is all about making new friends and putting yourself out there, let's start now.

"Sure, why not."