Where is hell is she?

The hell!

"Bridge, it's 11 in the afternoon what are you still doing in the bed? And don't you have a class around this time?" The only reason I know this is because I make her schedule. Bridget has always been unorganized ever since I could remember. When we were younger, she would always be late picking me up from Cello lessons. Her excuse was always because she lost track of time, so since I was 13 up until now, I've made her schedule for her. As we can see, it hasn't come to fruition.

"I'm sick Eliza, I think it's mono." She's so dramatic sometimes.

"Shut up Bridget and just come pick me up." I groan.

"Where?"

"Outside of Foothill Hall, it's across from the-"

"Yea, I know where it's at. Why am I picking you up there, isn't that where you live?"

"It was." I go into grave detail about how the dorm didn't get my application. How I'll have to wait until they find me a room, or someone leaves and I can move in. All she does is say "mhm", "oh that's bad" and an occasional "uh-huh". "So, I was wondering. . .if maybe I could stay with you."

Yet again, silence flows over the phone. I can tell she trying to find some way to not let me stay with her. I mean, who wants their freshman sister cramping their style? "There's really nowhere you can go, Eliza?"

"No."

"Can't they let you stay somewhere temporarily?"

"No."

"Don't they have a broom closet or something?"

"BRIDGET!" My voice raises. A few passer byers stare at me like I'm some lunatic. I cower into myself, if I don't see them then they don't even exist. It's the same thing I do with my bank account and it tends to work.

She laughs, "I'm playing with you Eliza, gosh I forgot how gullible you are. I missed that about you."

"You're such an ass." Humor seeps into my voice. "So, can I stay with you? I would beg, but my knees are aching." My hand rubs over them, they're ashy and brittle. This hot sun is draining my skin of all moisture.

She ponders on my question, "Fine, you can stay with me. I'll be there in about 30 minutes."

"You better be Bridget; we know how late you can be." I remind her.

"OH MY GOSH! It was only a couple of times when are you going to let that go?"

"Never, it scarred me."

"Whatever, just- let me put on some pants, hold on tight. And don't talk to strangers." I tell her goodbye, hanging up my now dead phone, and just wait.

✏️✏️✏️✏️

Waiting. Waiting. Waiting.

It's been over an hour and Bridget still isn't here, 30 minutes my ass. I would have taken an Uber to her house, but I don't want to be riding with a stranger in an unknown location. Hell, I'm better off just walking. I would check the time, but my phone is dead. This is the worst first day of college ever. I'd rather go back to high school, and that's saying something.

As I shake my legs back to life, a roaring beat-up truck pulls in front of me on the curb. Black smoke puffs out the muffler of the truck. I mask my hand over my mouth, is this car on fire or something? This can't be good for the environment, I might have to call Greta Thunberg on them. The window rolls down and reveals a black guy with braids to the back and scuff marks all over his face. One hand holds the wheel while he leans himself over the passenger seat with the other.

"Hey! Are you Elizabeth?" His car is so loud he has to scream the words at me. Why is this his car? I know college kids aren't banking or anything but...

"Yes! Who are you!" He scrunches up his face, he doesn't know what I'm saying. "TURN YOUR CAR OFF!"

"WHAT?"

"TURN YOUR CAR OFF!"

"I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR SAYING!"

Oh, for fucks sake. "TU-URN YOUR CA-." I stop mid-sentence once his car is shut off and my voice carries. More heads turn around as they pass me on the curb, wondering why the curly headed girl is screaming in the middle of the walkway.

He chuckles, "I heard you the first time, just wanted to play around." He loudly shuts his truck door and comes over to me. Looking from head to toe, I could tell he had a nice body, but it's so dirty. That wasn't meant to be sexual, he is dirty. His flannel shirt is rolled up to his elbows that are coated with dirt as is his pants.

"I know that college is busy for a lot of people, and they don't have time to do certain things, but bathing should be the number one thing you SHOULD make sure you do." His eyes revert down to his body, he dusts some dirt off and chuckles.

"I just got off work, Bridget called me to come to pick you up, she was busy." BUSY! What the hell could she be doing, I was on the phone with her no more than an hour ago. Also, she skipped class so I know she isn't studying. Bridget wouldn't know what that is if it slapped her on the face.

I start to rage, "This is unbelievable. I wanted her to come to pick me up not send a proxy." His face looks hurt and embarrassed. "Oh, that wasn't meant to hurt you or anything, I'm sorry. It's just- I'm tired and hungry and thirsty-"

He stops me, "It's ok."

"No, it's not. Being rude to someone is not 'ok'. Especially one that went out of his way." I whip out my phone but then come to the realization that it's dead. Seeing that it's dead, the guy hands me his phone. "Oh, thank you...."

My voice lingers, hoping he would give me this name. "Daniel. My name is Daniel."

"Thank you, Daniel." I slide through his contacts until I find her name. Dialing, I tap my foot impatiently against the pavement, waiting for her to answer.

"Hey Daniel, did you get to Eliza?" She asks.

"Oh, this isn't Daniel it's your sister. Why are you sending someone else to pick me up, I wanted you to." My voice comes out whiny, was not expecting that. Daniel leans against his now silent truck, crosses his arms, and smirks. He's clearly entertained.

"E, I got caught up with something." In the background on the phone, I can hear a man's voice mumbling something. Oh no, she did not do what I think she did.

"Bridge, did you bail on me for a guy!" I shriek.

"Nooooooooooooo." She drawls on and on.

"Don't lie, gods watching."

She huffs, "Fine, I did ok. It's not that big of a deal, Kam's going home this weekend and he wanted to spend some time with me, don't be mad."

"Bite. Me." I bite the words out. "I hope the dick was worth bailing on your blood." From the corner of my eyes, I see Daniel looking at me. I pray he didn't hear what I said.

"Don't worry, it was." Her voice comes out seductive. Ugh, she's so disgusting, but she is my sister what can you do?

"I'll see you at the house." I hang up the phone and hand it back to Daniel. "Should we get this stuff in the truck?" I question, shrugging my shoulder awkwardly.

He nods.

Since he's stronger, he takes the trunk while I grab the suitcases and backpack. And might I add, he looks damn good carrying that trunk. His veins burst out of his skin as his fingers grip the handle. Once all the stuff is in the back, we get inside of his truck. The leather seats stick to my bare legs, that's how hot it is. I try to slim my tennis skirt, but it doesn't help.

"You ready?" His seatbelt buckles into the lock.

"Do I have a choice?" I joke.