Teddy's choice

"What should I do?" asked a nervous Teddy.

"Honestly, nothing," I reply, stepping onto the concrete.

"For real?"

"Straight up." Teddy and I are currently walking down the pavement to The Lucky Barn restaurant on campus. The last time I was over at Juliette's place, she got some emails from her ex-boyfriend, Dean Carmichael. I honestly don't think she should ever see the fucker again, but she needs closer or she'll never fully move on. 

I've seen Dean around campus, and when I do, I make sure he knows how much I don't like him. I mean, who in the hell sleeps with their girlfriends' roommate? It's so sleazy, at least have it been someone she wasn't forced to live with.

There were times when she would call me, crying hysterically. At one point, she went from just spending the night to full-on staying with me. Which I didn't mind, Juliette is good company.

She wanted me here for moral support, just in case Dean pulled something. Teddy was not involved anywhere in the plan. Since Doug is borrowing my car to take Carlee on a date, Teddy decided to drive me, as he talked off my head about Bridget.

At dinner the other night, I noticed Doug was ignoring Carlee. I thought it was because she said no to him, but I guess he was so fucking nervous, that if he looked at her, he would cop out and throw up. Thank God he didn't say anything, I was sitting next to him.

Before they left, he told me to keep my phone on, just in case he needed to ask me any questions. I don't know why he would pick me; I don't do relationships.

Going back to Teddy, he's worried about what happened with Bridget at the Alpha party a couple of days ago. Turns out, they both got super drunk on Tequila, randomly took ecstasy, and had raunchy hot sex in the back of his truck. Three times, to be exact. I didn't ask, but Teddy thought I needed to know this idle piece of information. 

To update the conversation, he wants to know should he do or say anything to Bridget. 

"I- I can't just NOT say anything to her. I'm always at you guys' place, we'll bump into each other eventually." He explains. Worry comes across his face, he pushes his brown, curly hair out of his blue eyes. Girls have gone to war over those eyes, I'm talking fighting each other over him. Out of all the girls he's slept with, or eaten out, Bridget always stands over them. There's something about her, maybe it's her bougie personality or long Naomi Campbell legs, but she has a hold over him none of us understand.

I sidestep around a woman and her child, the boy has one of those big, colorful lollipops in his hand. "Dude, look, every time she's on a break with Kam, or horny, you go and fuck the shit out of her. She goes back to Kam, and you act like a lovesick puppy. It's very clear to me you still have feelings for Bridge."

"I do." He sighs. We make it to The Lucky Barn. Inside the building, I see Juliette sitting towards the back in a country-style booth. In front of her, I see a man with blonde hair, it's Dean Carmichael. My fists tighten, damn I just want to punch him in the face. But I won't, this is not about me but Juliette. Whatever she goes along with, I will. It's not my part to judge her but accept her decisions, no matter if I agree or not. 

"Then if you talk to her, you have to convince Bridge that you want her. Kam's been a big part of her life, always taking her out and bettering Bridget academically." Bridget's not naturally smart, she has a hard time with math and comprehension. I noticed it when I tried to help her write a paper. Then, Kam came along, started tutoring her and she became this genius. "She might not let him go, since he's helped her a lot in college. You're not only competing with looks but brains." 

Juliette notices me outside of the restaurant, her brown hand ushers me to come inside. 

"One moment. "I mouth to her.

"What the fuck." She says back.

I open up my phone and text her.

ANDREAS: Teddy's on an emotional roller-coaster.

JULIETTE: For who?

ANDREAS: Bridget.

I can hear her snicker inside of the restaurant.

JULIETTE: You've got to be fucking kidding me, again!? When is he going to get it, she always goes back to Kam.

ANDREAS: I don't know Jules. I'll be in there in a few minutes, tell Dean to be ready.

She rolls her eyes and puts the phone on the table. I turn back to Teddy; he's sitting on the bench in front of the restaurant. Head is in his hands, oh god, he's fucked up.

I sigh and sit next to him, "Teddy, I've never seen you so emotional."

"Me either." He wipes his eyes, he's crying! 

My voice turns serious, "Do you love her?" 

I can hear the thunder beating of his heart, "I- I do. When we were first together, it was bliss, I felt like I was on cloud 9. Then, before I knew it, we broke up. It didn't take her long to move on, Kam came out of nowhere. I was heartbroken for weeks, I had to force myself to go to practice. I love her Andreas; I've always have and will."

"Then why do you sleep with her, when you know that's all it is?" It's not a weird question to ask. I couldn't sleep with someone else if I loved another, too painful. I love no one.

"I know you probably think it's dumb, but. . .it was the closest I could get to her. When I'm at the house, she tolerates me. I can see her looking for a few seconds and then walking away. Once she and Kam get into a fight, or he goes away, she shows up at my dorm and I fuck her. To be close to her, touch her, and breathe in her smell, it's like Christmas. If that's what she's giving out, then I'll take it. You know, she told me she never had an orgasm with him. He comes within 30 seconds in the act, rolls over, and goes to sleep."

I blink profusely once I hear what he says, the last part at least. It sounded all. . .depressing, but I understood where he came from. I can't believe I didn't know all of this, and he's my best friend. "I feel like I don't even know you at all, Theodore." 

"God, don't call me that." He groans. When I first met him, I thought his full name was Teddy. Then our professor called out for Theodore, which had the whole class confused. Turns out it was Teddy's full name.

Knock, Knock.

I hear someone knocking on the glass behind us, it's Juliette with her brows furrowed and an angry look on her face. Me and Teddy wave to her.

"Hurry up!"

"Ted, I've got to go. Can we talk later?" 

"Yeah, you still want me to take you home?" He asks.

"No, Jules will. Take care, man." Teddy luges himself off the bench, walking down the path to his car. His shoulders were slouched as his curls bounced around. He'll be ok, Teddy always bounces back.

I let out a huge breath, then proceed to walk inside the restaurant.