Eavesdropping on Elizabeth's conversation

Andreas P.O.V-

I walk outside the science building to see Elizabeth, standing on the steps, talking to Cross.

He's leaned up against one of the banisters, while Elizabeth stands on the steps, clutching her bag as she smiles heavily at Cross.

Does she like him?

I paid Daniel 50 bucks to let me drive Elizabeth to campus today. He was hesitant at first, but when I offered money, he relented, took the money, and said I was a good man. 

You can pay anyone off with money.

I like spending time with Elizabeth. The drive to campus isn't that long, but in that small amount of time we have, it's something that I cherish. To see her blush when I talk about our sexual encounters, or to see the smile on her face when she talks about her degree, how she loves crime shows, and how they played a pivotal role in what she chose to study.

Then, I get to walk her to class, which is always on the other side of campus, and on that walk, we talk some more. I get to see those eyes light up, and the insults she throws at me time and time again. 

And the greatest feeling?

When she stands on the steps for me, waiting. 

She looks so calm, so relaxed. She's either listening to music or doing her school work.

But she's doing neither of that today, instead, she's conversating with Cross, and is loving it. Whatever he just said must have been funny, because she's laughing hysterically. Cross has been known to charm young women; Elizabeth is not the exception.

Wanting to listen to them talk, I walk out of the building and stand off to the side to where they can't see me. 

". . .so, you always look this good, then?" asked Cross, looking Elizabeth up and down.

She has on straight boot cut jeans, combat boots, and a marron and tan stitched crop top with sleeves. Her hair is tied up in a bun on top of her head, showing off her neck. 

"This is a regular outfit, if you're trying to get into my pants, just say it." She smirks.

He rolls his eyes, "If I wanted to, it would have happened on the night of the Halloween party." 

My mind goes back to that night when I saw her dancing against Cross, and he fucking loved it. I wanted to run across that floor and snatch her up and drag her away, but I didn't, instead, I left the party. 

Something happened with Cross that made her leave him at that party, come home, and be with me. 

I see her shake her head, "Who said something would have happened?"

He rolls his tongue, "I do. Don't act as if you can resist me, most women can't."

I gag.

She laughs, "So cocky. Are all the guys here like you?"

"Most guys aren't on my level. So, what's new with you, you must have a new guy in your life since you left me with a hard-on in my room." 

I wonder what she's going to say. Will she mention my name?

I see her ponder on the thought, "I really don't know. But yes, there is a man in my life." My breath hitches.

"Do I know this man?"

"I'm sure you do. It seems that everything with tits and estrogen knows who he is." She mumbles the last part. 

I laugh silently to myself. 

"Ahhh, so he's a popular guy. Do you like him?" Cross is very interested in this guy, who happens to be me. Is he jealous of me, wishing that he was me?

"Uh, relatively, yes. It's weird because. . .I don't know. I like him, but it could never be more." 

"Why not?"

"He had a bad experience with dating, and I'm scared if I bring it up, I'll lose him, and I don't want that. So, just settling with messing around and having late-night chats is enough to satisfy me." The words aren't convincing.

I lean my head against the wall, looking up at the ceiling. Oh fuck. 

I told her I didn't want a relationship, and she said the same thing. Someone is getting off that path.

I would want to one day date someone again, fucking around gets boring. With Elizabeth, it's sex, humor, and stimulating conversation.

I don't want it to end.

Relationships fuck up everything, and fuck up people too. I thought Jessie was the one for me. The girl that I would marry, have kids with, but she betrayed me by sleeping with someone I called my best friend.

I'm not saying Elizabeth would do that, but the mind and heart can make you do some crazy things.

Like hurting people.

Jessie really fucked me up, made me stop believing in love.

But with Elizabeth..... something is happening. I can't put my finger on it.

"Eliza, if you want to be with him, you need to say it. Keeping someone as fantastic as you in the dark is ridiculous. You deserve better."

"I know, but I really like him. It would be hard to just walk away." 

Ok, I've got to break this up, standing here and listening to this, I can't stand it. 

My heart can't take it.

I walk down the steps, Cross notices me first, "Hey Andreas, long time no see."

I dab him up, "Same to you too. What's been going on, still selling drugs to wayward students?"

He chuckles, "You know it. You want something."

I wave a hand, "No, I don't do that stuff anymore."

Elizabeth cranes her neck in my direction, "You did drugs?"

"It was nothing, Elizabeth. I just took Adderall, it was my first year here, and I had a hard time keeping up with classes and football. But now I have a handle on things, I'm good." 

"Are you sure?" She whispers, worried.

I smile softly, "Yes."