And the winner of the 2022 championship game is. . .

Andreas P.O.V-

Through all the blood, sweat, and tears, we won the game.

Stanford 57. Berkeley 85.

I looked up at the sky, watching cannons of confetti rain down on the field. The colors blue and gold dance around us, some even landing in my mouth. The crowd was going crazy, everyone out of their seats screaming and hugging each other. 

My teammates all jump around, grabbing hold of each other as some of them cry their eyes out. Most of us have been on the team for years, and have never seen the championships, I'm glad to see the happy smiles on their faces. I feel arms wrap around my shoulders from behind, it's Topolski.

"Hey, dude," I say to him, bringing him forward for a hug.

"Can you believe it; we won the game! We beat Stanford." His face is so red, that it blends in with his hair. Sweat drips down his forehead, mouthguard hanging out of his mouth, making the words a little muffled.

"I know, not so great now are they?"

"No, not at all." He pats me on the back and runs over to the other teammates. I watch as the trophy is passed around above my head, and it lands on me. I take it with both hands, having to keep it steady since it's big and heavy. 

The cameras land on me, I give my best smile and pose with the trophy above my head. Only it's not just my photo, but the entire team. They group around me, getting as close as they can, showing off their pearly whites. 

Once the cameras have passed, the trophy moves from my hands to someone else's. I use this time to stretch my fingers and arms out, also my neck. My arm is still sore, I can move it around, just not enough to have it be fully functioning. When I look at my arm, one person comes to mind.

Elizabeth.

Since the game has ended, I've been looking around for her, hoping she would come to her senses and watch me win the game. It hurt me, knowing that she didn't watch me win, that she left. I guess, somewhere deep inside, I knew I deserve this.

I understood why she got so angry; how could I go back out to the game when it left me injured. Yes, I could have gone back out and hurt myself, but I didn't. Instead, I went out there, stronger than I've ever been, and won the game. 

I'm sure she already knows that we won, and won't give a fuck that I did. I just don't know how I'm going to make it up to her, how we can get past this. I told her that she wasn't enough for me to stay in that room and not go back on the field. It was an asshole move, of course, but I didn't mean it like that.

There were only two quarters in the game left, and most of the team does the heavy lifting, all I do is guard. As long as I didn't slam myself into someone, I would be fine. I knew to be extra careful when I came back out, the coach made sure of that. The other team members looked out for me on the field and made sure no one got me on my bad side. 

From the corner of my eye, I see my family coming down the stairs over to me. My mother was the first one to embrace me. I can feel the anger rolling off her body. "I'm still mad at you, don't get it twisted. Congratulations on winning your game, I'm proud of you." She whispers in my ear. I feel her lips smash against my cheek, then she lets me go. My father dabs me up and Katherine just sticks up her middle finger.

"How very ladylike of you." 

She curtsies, "Why thank you, kind sir." Her voice mocking.

The rest of the time spent at the stadium was talking to other team members, coaches, refs, and my roommates. They were all so happy but also scared for me seeing that I went back out to the game after that hit. All of them gave me hugs, and kisses and congratulated me. 

Teddy and Jace, out of all of them, were the most excited. It's a bummer that they couldn't play in the game, but at least they were able to watch. I did this for them, mostly, winning the game. The team has decided to dedicate this win to them. 

✏️✏️✏️✏️

I watched as everyone got in their cars and left. This was my parent's last day here in California, now it's back home to their jobs, and Katherine back in school. I'll miss them a lot, it was nice seeing them, having someone from home makes it feel like I'm already at home. In a few short months, I'll be there for the summer, hanging with my parents and annoying the hell out of Katherine. 

We went to the locker room, showered, packed our bags, and got back on the bus. I sat towards the back, not wanting to talk to anyone. Topolski got the hint and sat up front. The whole ride to the hotel was just the team chanting, yelling, and shoving it at the Stanford football players. They were surprised and mad that we won. When the press tried to interview them, they would wave their hands or stick up their middle fingers, talk about sore losers.

When we walk into the hotel, the entire team makes their way to the hotel bar, wanting to get wasted. Parker volunteered to pay for all the beer we drink tonight, no one could turn that down, and with how rich he is, no one would miss that. While they all find tables, I walk out of the bar, and down a quiet hall to make a phone call.

I call her number three times in a row; it goes straight to voicemail. She might have turned her phone off or blocked my number. I hang up the phone and call her sister, Bridget. If anyone would know where she was, it would be Bridget.

She answered on the third ring. "Hello." Her voice was loud, she had music playing loudly in the background. A few familiar voices I can hear also.

"Hey, Bridget. It's me, Andreas."

"I know it's you, I've got caller ID. What do you need, shouldn't you be off drinking and celebrating your win?"

I chuckled, "Trying to, I'm just having a hard time locating your sister, that's all." 

I hear a pause, then she resumes, "Eliza? She's your girlfriend, shouldn't you know where she is at all times?"

"Well, this particular time I can't locate her, do you know where she is?"

"Ummm, no." I groan. "No, wait, I know. Before we were leaving the stadium, Connie and Cross said they were going to stay the night instead of driving back in the dark. Elizabeth rode up here with them, so what ever hotel they stayed in she should be with them." That's fantastic news.

"Do you know what hotel?"

"Give me a minute." I do, but it was more like 15 minutes. I lean up against the wall, listening to her fingers hit the screen as she texted Elizabeth. The music and yelling still resumed. She comes back on the phone. "She's at Hotel Keen, room 314. Is that all you need?" 

"Yeah, that's good. Thanks, babe."

"No problem." Then, she hangs up the phone.

This couldn't have gone better. I and the team are also staying in Hotel Keen, and her floor is right above mine. I tell the guys that I'm going to phone it in, and we can party tomorrow. Some of them were bummed out, most were already drunk so it didn't matter much.

I take the elevator to the third floor, following the room numbers until I get to room 314. I take a breath, then knock on the door. It takes a few minutes for her to answer the door, and when she does, my heart stops. Her hair is wet, and a white, fluffy robe swaddled her body. 

We stared at each other for a few seconds, then she slams the door in my face. 

Well, wasn't expecting that.