Jessie Angello returns

Andreas P.O.V-

"Yes, mom. I'm eating my vegetables." I mutter on the phone as I drive down the road. 

"Just making sure you're eating healthy up there, Andreas. What do you want me to do, not see how my favorite son is doing." She speaks.

"I'm your only son, I would be your favorite son no matter what." I turn the corner, driving down my street. The house comes into view. 

My mom calls me almost every day, asking me questions. Wondering if I'm eating my vegetables, not studying too hard, but studying enough to where I'm passing all my classes. And making sure I'm not giving my body up to various young girls who are looking to use me. For some reason, she still thinks I'm a virgin, to make her happy, I play along with the narrative.

"That doesn't matter, I just love you so much!" She coos, I roll my eyes. "How are your classes? Are you having a hard time? Do you need me and your Ba to come down there?" Tons of questions pool out of her mouth. I find myself swerving on the street, my hand readjusts the wheel. Her questions were so distracting it almost ran me off the road. 

"Stay where you are!" I alert her. "I'm fine, everything is fine. The classes are going ok, so are work and football. We have a game next week against SU, their team is pretty good so winning may be slim to none." I confess.

Every year we play SU, aka, Stanford University. And every year we lose. Maybe it's because their coach is a beast and very good at uncovering our plays, OR the fact that most SU players are built like The Rock. No joke, one of them almost knocked me unconscious. I felt like I got super drunk and stood up too fast. 

"Don't think like that, Andreas. Once you put negative thoughts in the universe, they will come true. Think positive, you're so good at football there's no way they can beat you. Not my baby." My stomach flutters a bit from hearing those words.

My mother has always been my biggest cheerleader. Showing up to all my games, her face painted in the school colors while a foam finger waggles in the air. My father would just shake his head at her, telling her to sit down and that she's embarrassing me. Most boys would be embarrassed by their mother screaming loudly in the stands, but not me. If it wasn't for her being on me all the time and showing up to my games, I wouldn't be here today. She's the whole reason I play the game, it's something we always did together. I played the games while she cheered in the stands.

"You're right, I'll think positive thoughts now. Hey, I've pulled up to the house. Talk to you later?"

"You better, you said that last time and never called me." She says softly.

My heart aches from hearing her voice weaken, "Sorry, I had a game and was super tired. Love you." My car pulls into the driveway, parking behind Monica's red car. 

"Love you too, Andreas." I hang up my phone, take the key out of the ignition, and head for the house. 

Before my mom called, I was in a study group with my biostatics class. It was all going well until Meghan called on me. She always tries to make me look dumb in front of the group, I don't know if she has a problem with me personally or the fact that I'm a jock.

From what I've heard about her, she dated someone on the football team last semester and they broke her heart. I may be her personal punching bag. 

Anyway, she asked me a question, it was the hardest one on the list so, of course, I didn't know. To which she publicly humiliated me, saying if I spend as much time studying as I do on the field, then I would know the answer to the question. The fucked-up thing was that she didn't know it either, it was a proof question our professor gave us. She's such a-