Chapter 31: The Storm

Taehyung saw Jungkook's deadly pale face just before the boy ran out of the ballroom. He looked at Jin and spread his arms nonverbally asking what happened. But Jin shrugged and pointed at the door to the garden. Taehyung nodded and ran after the Younger while Jin went into Jungwon's direction.

Taehyung's heart started to beat like crazy. 

Did he overdid it?

Did his selfish need to be close to Jungkook even just for a moment put the Younger alpha in too much distress?

He was pretty shaken himself... What if he just crossed this thin, fragile line they managed to draw between themselves?

It's ok, it's ok... I will fix it... - he tried to calm himself down.

When he saw the slim figure looking at the sky, being the literal description of panic, he gulped and stopped abruptly.

'Koo?' he asked hesitantly. 'Koo? Are you ok?' he tried to sound as calm as his voice let him.

He saw Jungkook's body trembed visibly. Then his hands fell to his sides. 

Oh, God..., Jungkook  felt Tahyung's voice sinking into his mind and he understood. Maybe the realization came suddenly. But this feeling didn't. His introvert, shy self... would never had the feeling of wanting to kiss somebody... Of wanting to be intimate with somebody... if  he wouldn't be in love...

So the thing he was afraid of the most... already happened....

'Koo? Talk to me...'

Jungkook closed his eyes and took a deep breath, comforting himself in his head.

Don't panic. He doesn't know. He won't ever know... Nothing changed. It's just you are aware of it now... You can cherish this feeling in silence... Just don't lie to him. He will know instantly if you lie...

Jungkook slowly turned to Taehyung and smiled lightly. He was glad the night could hide his gaze to some extent. Because he felt like he saw his friend for the first time in his life. His lips. His eyes. His bangs. The way the wrinkle appeared on his forehead when he frowned. He couldn't get enough of admiring his features.

'Did I make you worried?' Jungkook asked softly.

Taehyung nodded hesitantly. Something was off. Jungkook's gaze was so fragile. Like he just surrendered... But he wasn't sad or distraught as Taehyung thought at first. He made a step forward.

'What happened?'

Jungkook shrugged still with this little smile plastered to his lips, like he didn't really want to smile, but couldn't help it.

'I just needed some fresh air...' he said and looked at the night sky. He shook his head in disbelief and his smile widened. 'Your presence is just too overwhelming sometimes...'

Taehyung gulped and his mouth felt dry. He instinctively made another step forward, but Jungkook stopped him, placing his palm on his chest.

'Don't...' he said still so softly. 'I don't think I can take it now...'

Taehyung looked down and whispered:

'Sorry...'

Jungkook moved his hand and cupped Taehyung's cheek.

'It's fine...' he was looking at his own thumb caressing Tae's skin. 'If...' he gulped. Should he say it? Probably he shouldn't... But he needed to release even a small part of his feelings before they would tear his heart apart. '... if the circumstances would be different... you would be my only choice...'