thirty nine | après moi, le deluge

As he stared down at the picture of Celeste Dubois, Elijah told Hayley, "The Italians call them Strega

As he stared down at the picture of Celeste Dubois, Elijah told Hayley, "The Italians call them Strega. The Yoruba of West Africa call them Aje, meaning mother. Where my mother was from, they called them Hexa, and here we call them witch. Over the centuries, vampires have fought them and fought beside them. Bedded them and burned them. Whether adversary or ally, they have been a force to be reckoned with. Their ancestral magic anchors this city. There's never been one all-powerful witch until Davina."

As he started to enter the room his two siblings and Hayley were in, Klaus said to Hayley, "Who is now tucked in safe and sound down the hall under my protection." As he started to look down at the photograph, he said to Elijah, "Your Celeste was quite beautiful and a portent of evil according to our volatile artist in residence."

While Annabelle only sighed to herself in response, Elijah replied, "Yes. Perhaps Davina's mistaken what she calls evil for power. Celeste was certainly very powerful in her day, but she's been dead for over two-hundred years. I don't understand why all these sketches now."

In turn, Klaus asked as he went to sit down across from Elijah, "Why does any witch do anything?"

It was then that Annabelle turned her head when she could hear the sound of a door being swung open before she heard Davina yell, "Go away!"

While Annabelle started to smirk to herself as she closed her eyes after hearing the sound of a thud, Marcel said, "Come on. You got to be starving. You haven't eaten since–"

Davina replied, "Since your best friend killed my best friend?"

Marcel said to her, "Davina, I'm sorry about what happened to this kid Tim."

Davina retorted, "I'm sorry you don't hate Klaus for what he did or want to make him pay."

Marcel told her, "He'll pay for what he did one way or the other, but right now, I just want to make peace with you."

Davina asked him, "Why? So we can be one big, happy Frankenstein family?"

Not long after the sound of another crash was heard, Klaus said, "Well, that's going well."

Elijah told him, "If you were trying to win the girl's trust, perhaps poisoning her one true love was not the most splendid idea."

Klaus replied, "Oh. Are there any more inopportune deaths you'd like to wave in my face?"

Elijah said to him, "Give me a month. I'll get you a list."

Not long after Klaus started to chuckle in response, yet another crash was heard before he sighed to himself and said, "Young, old, dead, or alive, witches are a pain in the ass."

With narrowed eyes, Annabelle watched as Klaus got up out of his seat and quickly walked out of the room, just as yet another crash was heard.

With a roll of her eyes, Annabelle brought her attention back over to the dried up blood that covered her palms from when she had clenched her hands into fists earlier in the day.