sixty eight | i'll see you in hell or new orleans

While Annabelle stared at Lucien with wide eyes and eyed the wounds that were already made onto his back, Tristan de Martel turned to the three of them and asked them, "Have the three of you come to watch as Lucien receives his punishment? I fear ...

While Annabelle stared at Lucien with wide eyes and eyed the wounds that were already made onto his back, Tristan de Martel turned to the three of them and asked them, "Have the three of you come to watch as Lucien receives his punishment? I fear I'm being a touch lenient, given his intentions for my sister."

Klaus replied, "Why torture a loyal servant? I'm sure this was all a misunderstanding."

Tristan retorted, "One that remains outside your concern. As son of the Count, I may discipline staff as I see fit. Should you take issue, allow me to remind you that you're a guest."

After Tristan turned his attention back over towards Lucien, he swung his weapon choice over towards Lucien, who did nothing but let out a groan as he winced from the feeling of the whip hitting his back.

The most Annabelle could do was cover her mouth with one her hands and simply stare at the man she considered to be a friend, who was currently being tortured by Tristan.

Just as Lucien went to let out yet another yell, Klaus said to Tristan, "Step away from him, now."

While repeatedly gasping to himself, Tristan slowly made his way over towards Klaus and told him, "I know what you are. Our house servants speak of demons hunting in the night. I myself interviewed one such maiden. Quite pretty. Thus far, the only survivor of these attacks. I asked what manner of creature had hunted her, she said she was certain it was the Lord Kol, but with the face of a beast." While Annabelle tightly closed her eyes and clenched her hands into fists as she attempted to calm herself at that very moment, Tristan said to Klaus, "Your entire family sought refuge here, claiming to be noblemen, when in fact you are fiends. I can only surmise that you are hiding, which means you are afraid. Somewhere out there something is even more savage than you."

Just as Tristan turned back towards Lucian and went to swing his whip towards Lucien once more, Klaus quickly grabbed him by his wrist and pulled Tristan towards himself before quickly grabbing him by the front of his neck.

While Elijah took a step forward and put a hand on Annabelle's shoulder, which did nothing more than make her be even more on edge than she already was, Klaus said to Tristan, "This is not going to be pleasant."

After groaning to himself, Tristan replied, "Do so at your peril. But should any misfortune befall me, know that I have instructed my fastest riders to spread word of your presence here. Whomever seeks you would most certainly hear the news."

After taking a step forward, Elijah said to Klaus, "Niklaus, release him." When Klaus only tightened his grip even more on Tristan's neck, Elijah said to him, "Please."

After sighing to himself, Tristan said, "See? We're not so different, after all. Your wish to protect your family, I wish to protect mine."

Then Tristan turned his attention over towards Lucien and grabbed a handful of his hair before forcing Lucien's head far back behind himself, which allowed Tristan to shove the blade deep into Lucien's face and Lucien to scream as Tristan continued to disfigure him.

And the most Annabelle could do at that very moment was look between Lucien and Tristan with wide eyes as she wondered what she could do at that very moment to help the man she considered to be her closest friend since Atticus's untimely demise.

* * *

While Annabelle continued to keep her distance from where Lucien was now standing, Klaus told him, "I brought you water, drink."

After he went ahead and drank from the goblet, Lucien groaned before he said, "Oh, God..." As he went to touch the side of his face, he asked them, "What did he do to me?"

Then he looked past Klaus and over at Annabelle before he asked her, "Annabelle?"

With a shake of her head, Annabelle said to him, "I'm-I'm so sorry, Lucien. If I had known he would do this—"

With a sigh, Klaus turned to Annabelle and asked her, "You would have done what, little sister?"

The only thing Annabelle did was grab the sides of her head and start to shake her head to herself, while Lucien started to sob before he dropped the goblet he was holding.

After lightly placing his hand on the back of Lucien's head, Klaus said as he pulled him closer towards himself, "I am sorry, my friend."

In turn, Lucien stole the small blade out of the hilt Klaus had it in before he shoved it deep into Klaus's chest.

With her eyes wide as ever, Annabelle said with a shake of her head, "Lucien—"

In response to Lucien's actions, Klaus asked him, "Are you mad? You know what I am." With the blade now being held by Klaus, Klaus told him, "This rage is pointless."

Not long after he said that, Lucien quickly attempted to move towards Klaus, who yelled to him, "You cannot hurt me!"

It wasn't until after Klaus sliced open Lucien's hand that Lucien had forced himself away from Klaus before staring at the open wound on the palm of his hand.

With furrowed eyebrows, both Klaus and Lucien silently watched as the wound started to heal until there was nothing more than blood covering his palm.

With her own eyebrows furrowed, Annabelle slowly started to make her way over towards as she said, "Lucien?" While Lucien started to raise his hands towards the disfigurement that was also starting to heal, Annabelle asked, "Nik, what's happening?"

While he continued to stare at Lucien, Klaus said as Lucien looked between the two of them with wide eyes, "My blood healed you."

As he continued to look between the two of them, Lucien forced himself onto his own two feet and let out a chuckle before he said to Klaus, "I am like you."

* * *

While Annabelle stared down at Lucien with tears rolling down both sides of her face, Klaus placed two golden coins on top of Lucien's closed eyes before he made his way over towards where both Elijah and Annabelle were standing.

While Annabelle started to twiddle her thumbs together in an attempt to keep her from clenching her hands into fists, Elijah asked Klaus, "Do you really think it was your blood that healed him?"

Klaus told him, "Annabelle and me saw it with our own eyes. When we found his body, I tried to feed him more and... Nothing."

Elijah replied, "So then, we may only heal the living. It's peculiar." After he put a hand on Klaus's shoulder, he said to Klaus, "I know this can't be easy for you, but..."

Not long after Elijah had walked away from them and Annabelle had closed her eyes, which resulted in more tears rolling down the sides of her face, Klaus went to lower the torch he was holding towards Lucien's body, only to stop when Lucien suddenly sat up with a gasp.

Upon hearing his gasp, Annabelle quickly opened her eyes and said, "L-Lucien? I-I thought you were—"

After looking around himself, Lucien said as he looked towards the two siblings, "What—"

While Klaus simply stared at Lucien with a smile on his face, Annabelle continued to stare at Lucien as more and more tears continued to roll down the sides of her face.

And the most Lucien did was look between the two siblings with wide eyes, while also eyeing Annabelle's tear-stricken face.