fifty eight | woke up with a monster

From where he was seated in front of Elena Gilbert, Kai said, "See, we never went out to eat when I was a kid

From where he was seated in front of Elena Gilbert, Kai said, "See, we never went out to eat when I was a kid. So I always had this fascination with chefs and fine dining. My dad actually loves to cook. He's old-school, of course." While Elena opened her eyes and stared at the swinging light above her, he said, "He taught me to measure by eye, season by taste, all that stuff. But it's different now in the restaurant world. I mean, everything's on timers. It's, like, fries go in, you push a button, ding, you take them out. Literally no guesswork."

Instead of responding, Elena simply remained silent as she tried to move her hands, only to let out a quiet groan when she felt the stinging sensation of the vervain-doused ropes that were tightly wrapped around her wrists.

With her eyes closed once more, Elena asked him, "Why am I here?"

As he started to slice apart the food on his plate, Kai said to her, "Uh, well, I spent eighteen years in abandoned restaurants and now I'm showing off the fruits of my labor."

Elena replied, "I don't mean the Mystic Grill."

Kai asked her, "Oh, you mean like— like 'here' here, in Mystic Falls?" After chuckling to himself, he said to her, "Sorry, I'm nervous. I'm— You're, like, really pretty."

After sighing to herself, Elena asked him, "Why am I here, Kai?"

Kai told her, "Well, I, uh, took the spell that was keeping supernaturals out of Mystic Falls, and I... I, like, absorbed it. Like, ate it, I guess." After shoving a piece of the food in his mouth, he said to her, "It's cool, huh? First I eat magic, and then eventually I lose it, but... I mean, a huge spell like that? I mean, come on. Magic's oozing out of me. It's all over the place. You know, I didn't quite realize I was out of control until I met the manager of the Grill a few hours ago. And he was all like, 'You can't come in here. We're closed. And-And you have an unconscious girl over your shoulder and-and your friend is covered in blood'. I was like, 'Don't judge me'. Well, us, but you get the point. So then I gave him a heart attack, or tried to."

While Elena's eyebrows started to furrow and she started to look around herself for any sign of the 'friend' Kai was talking about, Kai said, "But all I did was make him vomit uncontrollably, which was like, ugh. Alright, let's stop that. So I tried again. And I think I broke his spine. I mean, I'm-I'm not really sure. Because the third time I tried the spell, he kind of exploded in blood." While Elena started to shake her head in response, Kai said as he brought the mug he was holding up towards his face, "Whoops."

It was then that Elena asked him, "What the hell is wrong with you?"

Kai replied, "I just told you, I have too much magic. You know, it wasn't until my test run with the manager that I realized... if I start to merge with Jo, and my gushing fountains of magic turn her into that guy then I'm not gonna have a twin for the merge. So, Elena, that is why you're here. Because... I need to get my magic under control by practicing with you. Or rather by practicing on you." While Elena did nothing but stare at him with wide eyes, he told her, "Oh, hey, P.S., silver lining. After the manager finally stopped thrashing around... I finally managed a cloaking spell. Thank you."