fifty nine | prayer for the dying

From where she was dangling her head off of the edge of bed, Annabelle could do nothing but sigh when she heard the sound of her phone ringing from just beside her

After sighing to herself once more, Annabelle reached over and grabbed her phone, without even moving from her current position, before she accepted the call and placed it against her ear.

Just as she was about to ask if Dorothy had finished watching an unconscious Kai Parker, who was drugged and lying on a bed inside of Elena Gilbert's dorm room, she suddenly stopped when she heard an entirely different voice say, "Annabelle?"

Naturally, Annabelle would have been more than glad to hear Kol's voice, but there was something off about the way he was talking just from hearing him say her name alone.

With her eyebrows furrowed, Annabelle asked him, "Kol, are you okay?"

Kol replied, "Yes. Never better."

Annabelle asked him, "Are you sure? Because you don't sound like yourself." After sighing to herself, she said, "You know, aside from the bit of you being in the body of a witch."

After sniffling to himself, Kol said to her, "Yes, Annabelle, I'm fine. I promise." Before Annabelle had the chance to respond, he asked her, "How are you?"

Despite just how much she wished to press Kol to find out just what was bothering him, Annabelle simply chose to remain silent on the matter and told him, "I'm fine. I'm just waiting for Dorothy to return from watching that irritating witch I'm assigned to making sure he doesn't die."

He asked her, "Who's the witch?"

Annabelle replied, "This bloke Kai Parker. Apparently, he's like Dorothy. He siphons magic from supernatural beings, like she did to me the night all the power had gone out in Mystic Falls."

After forcing a chuckle, Kol said to her, "It sounds to me as if you don't care much for this Kai Parker."

Annabelle told him, "I don't. He's rather infuriating and doesn't seem to know how to shut the hell up." After she heard Kol sniffle once more, she asked him, "Are you sure you're okay, Kol?"

When Kol didn't respond, she said to him, "You keep sniffling and you don't sound like yourself." When he still didn't respond, she asked him, "Is there something going on over in New Orleans that you're not telling me?"

When she still received no response, she sighed before she said to him, "You know you can tell me anything, Kol. I won't judge you for whatever is going on over there."

Kol replied, "I know you won't, Annabelle, but trust me when I say that nothing is happening here. Our siblings are on their usual task of ensuring nothing destroys the city and whatever else they may hold dear to their hearts. That's all." When she didn't respond to him, he said to her, "I swear, Annabelle. Nothing is going on here."

After yet another couple seconds of silence coming from Kol, Annabelle said to him, "If you're sure..."

Kol said to her, "I am." When Annabelle only said 'hmm' in response, he said to her, "Now tell me everything there is to know about what's happening over in Mystic Falls."