one hundred and three | when the saints go marching in

While Elijah started to pull down Klaus's sleeve, Kol said, "Just when I thought he was showing the vaguest signs of maturity, our brother makes a unilateral decision that leaves the rest of us stewing in his melodrama

While Elijah started to pull down Klaus's sleeve, Kol said, "Just when I thought he was showing the vaguest signs of maturity, our brother makes a unilateral decision that leaves the rest of us stewing in his melodrama."

Rebekah replied, "His death is not a melodrama."

Elijah told the three of them, "Well, he's spiraling. This energy feeds on anger, and our brother– as we know– has enough to set the world on fire."

With a sigh, Kol asked them, "How many times are we going to play this game? Right, calamity and doom approaches our brother, and then, all of a sudden, a trapdoor appears and, poof, he escapes." After looking away from his two sisters, Kol said with a nod of his head, "He's a cockroach that will outlive us all. And we're immortal."

While Annabelle only sighed to herself in response to Kol's words, Rebekah replied, "And what if it's different this time? What if he figures out a way to end it all?"

Kol retorted, "I don't think he would notice or care that I wasn't there to witness it. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going home."

After the three of them watched Kol turn his back on them and quickly walk through the tunnel, Elijah said to them, "He'll be back."

While Annabelle slowly turned her head to stare down at her half-brother, Rebekah asked him, "Will he?"

And while Rebekah chose to walk after Kol, Annabelle crouched down in front Klaus and stared at him with a sigh and her head tilted to the side.

* * *

990 A.D.

After watching a nine-year-old Annabelle wince every so often, Klaus asked her, "Annabelle, what are you doing?"

Instead of responding, Annabelle turned around and quickly hid whatever it was she was holding behind her back and let one of her bleeding hands be shown.

As soon as he saw her bleeding hand, Klaus quickly made his way over towards her and, upon reaching her, grabbed her bleeding hand before he asked her, "What happened?" When she didn't respond, he asked her, "Why are you bleeding, Annabelle? Was it Father again?"

After a couple seconds of silence, Annabelle said, "Not exactly."

It was only then that Klaus saw that she was hiding her other hand behind her back, which got him to sigh before he asked her, "What are you holding in your hand, Annabelle?"

After silently gulping to herself, she said, "Just promise me that you won't be mad."

With a sigh, Klaus said, "Annabelle."

In turn, Annabelle said to him, "Please, Nik. I won't be able to handle it, if you're angry with me."

After letting out yet another sigh, Klaus replied, "Very well. I promise that I will not be mad, Annabelle. Okay?" When she only nodded in response, he asked her, "Now, will you show me whatever it is that you're hiding from me?"