ninety two | a spirit here that won't be broken

After watching Kai pull his hand away from Annabelle's head, Dorothy asked him, "How is she?"

With a sigh, Kai replied, "Well, I mean, aside from the fact that any time I try to get in her head, she immediately starts to scream at me and try to rip my heart out of my chest, I'd say she's doing great."

With a sigh of her own, Dorothy said to him, "Kai."

Kai replied, "I don't know. She's still recuperating from that spell we did on her."

Dorothy asked him, "Do you have any idea how long it'll be before we get Annabelle back?"

Kai replied, "No idea. But I do know if we keep going around inside of her head, there's a more than likely chance of her coming back as the monster you say she was nine years ago, or maybe even worse than that."

With furrowed eyebrows, Dorothy asked him, "So, what, we're supposed to quit trying to help her and hope for the best?"

With a nod of his head, Kai said to her, "Yeah, pretty much." After seeing Dorothy give him a pointed look, he said to her, "Hey, you asked, and I answered. Never said it was gonna be a good one."

When Dorothy started to sigh in response, he said to her, "Hey, relax, kid. It was only just last night that we rewired a thousand years worth of her memories from the hell it had been under for the past five years. It's going to take some time before she decides to wake up and rejoin the world. But until then, we can't just sit here and hope for the best."

Dorothy replied, "But you said we can't just keep digging around in her head."

Kai told her, "And we won't. We can put up a boundary spell, and a strong one too, to keep anyone from trying anything funny with her while we're gone. And if all goes well, she should be awake by the time we're done with this Hollow business and the Hollow is dead once and for all, okay?"

After sighing to herself, Dorothy hesitantly nodded her head before she and Kai linked hands and started to chant with the coven of heretics, not far behind them in joining the chanting.

* * *

996 A.D.

With a sigh, Annabelle said, "Kol, I'm worried."

With furrowed eyebrows, Kol turned to Annabelle and asked her, "What for?"

She told him, "It's Atticus. When he came to visit me days ago, he was injured. His eye was blackened and his nose looked as if it was broken. I'm concerned that someone in this village has some vendetta against him. What if-What if whoever had done this to him is going to come after our son next? I mean, Odin is only a year old. You don't think someone will come after him, do you? If-If that's the case, then I can always leave our home and go move into Atticus's cottage. That should protect him, right?"