Twenty-Three: Drunken Captain Obvious

Harry

Hearing that his foster mother was now married to Professor Snape made the Boy Who Lived queasy in his stomach whenever he had Potions class with his intimidating Head of House. He knew his Aunt was shagging him, and they had a kid to show for it, but as long as they were dating, and not combining their households with the house elf staff, and the like, he could easily pretend that Snape wasn't his foster dad. Hermione was ecstatic, and only felt a bit put out that she didn't get to be a bridesmaid, and Draco just took all of this in stride. Even his mental voice buddy Tom Riddle/ future Voldemort didn't care, and merely offered congratulations that Snape finally legally shed the stain of his muggle father's legacy off of his "great-great cousin," at last. But he kept his promise to not prank muggleborns any more, and it was only when passerby looked at Pythia's reflection when she traveled about the school that she petrified anyone.

Quidditch was fun, and a great distraction from all of this, and his homework, even though he actually liked doing some of the research part of homework. Slytherin House had a very good study support group, and everyone took part to fulfill the goal of being the best at school in general; at any time, you could go to any Slytherin and ask for help, and they would help you with your school work, and brainstorm ideas for how to write each essay, because it was in everyone's shared interest to be good at schoolwork. No one did your work for you, but help would always be given to someone in the study group if they asked for it.

Draco and Harry rode Pythia through the hallways after hours sometimes, and it was fun to play hide and seek, and just talk. Draco had to maintain the facade of being the 'perfect jock,' so no one but him knew that Draco secretly loved school work, especially when it included spells that were a grade ahead of what Flitwick was teaching for example. Hermione rarely joined them on these outings and tried to prevail upon them the importance of following the curfew rules, and coming across as a mother hen.

Pythia was playing in the Black Lake with the giant squid when Harry brought up his Riddle dreams to Draco. "What do you think I should do? I mean..." He blushed, "I've kinda noticed other wizards, but with him, my older self totally likes him."

"I mean, I'm not judging, but you should find out what he wants," Draco suggested. "And use that to your advantage. My dad says that any leverage you can use against your enemies will help you to keep your hands clean. We're Slytherins, Potter. We are loyal to our own, but as to the bisexual thing, do you still like girls, or is your older self all about wizards?"

Harry thought it over and shook his head. "Nope, I didn't get that impression. But we should head back soon."

Draco nodded. "Yeah. I'm totally gonna try out for being a Prefect just so I can roam the hallways at night when it comes time for that. How about you?"

Harry laughed, "Totally. That would like be soo cool, because during the full moon, Pyth can change into her witch self, and hang out with us."

Draco watched the huge basilisk move up on to the dry bank of the lake to shake the water off her shiny scales. "Did she really know Lord Slytherin himself? I read that he was just as snarky as my godfather, and your step dad."

Harry winced at that. "Eww, don't remind me. It's bad enough that with my Aunt he's like all kissy face with her, and they flirt All. The. Time. Do you think it's all an act between them?"

Draco shook his head, brushing the grass off his robes. "Nah, he loves her. I can see it whenever he looks at her, and I know you're not thrilled with the arrangement, but she's happy. Can't you be happy for her?"

Harry sighed. "I am. Really. It's just...weird is all." He hissed to Pythia, and she let them climb on to her spiky back.

"True, but let's not think of that now. We've gotta get back before someone sees us," Draco urged.