Seventy-Nine: The Orphaned Half-Blood

Firenze

The dark haired centaur had heard the news from Hagrid that the interloping witch bore the herd a new centaur mare, and she had the pink robed witch's gray eyes, but none of her toadish ugliness. Moonsilver and Silvermoon, the two twin brother leaders of the Forbidden Forest herd had sent Firenze to bring this new filly to the herd where she belonged.

Hagrid carried the filly in his arms bundled up in a thick green and brown plaid blanket. Firenze met the half giant wizard at the edge of the forest, which was declared neutral territory long ago.

Hagrid seemed sad, "Poor thing, as much I didn't like Umbridge, it's not good fer her little one t' be orphaned."

Firenze nodded. "Are you certain the mother is dead?"

Hagrid sighed heavily, "Yes. The birth was too much for her, I think. If she'd been younger, she coulda survived the c-what's it they call when they gotta cuts the babe outta a witch?"

"C-Section, I believe is the term," Firenze mused. "Our healers know how to help magical women who bear our little ones better. It's not unheard of for some witches to even have fancied a few of our stallions, but it is discouraged. Still, the herd needs to see this little foal better."

Hagrid handed Firenze the filly, and as soon as Firenze looked down at the filly's colorings, and even the darkness of her mane, he realized with a shock that this little one was his own daughter!

Hagrid asked, "Somethin' wrong?"

"She's...Pegasus above, she's...mine."

Hagrid's brown eyes went wide as saucers. "Oh...Oh, dear. You said the foal could belong to any of ye'. Did y'all really mount her?"

Firenze scowled, "Under Chief Silvermoon's orders, yes. I tried to get out of mounting her, but they would have banished me from the herd otherwise. I suppose my seed took root in her. It is the will of Lord Pegasus above."

Hagrid knew better than to argue with such wisdom, but he looked doubtful. Firenze personally shared his doubts, but he would never voice it aloud in council meetings, he was on thin ice as a friend of the wizard Hagrid any way.

"I will carry her," Firenze decided then and there, but maybe she will be the first half centaur who attends one of your wizarding schools. "Thank you, Rubeus, for bringing me my daughter. I will never forget your many kindnesses."

"I do what I can," Hagrid said, humbly.

"All the same, thank you."

The filly shifted slightly, and opened her eyes. Firenze smiled down at her, and said, "Hello, little one. Daddy is here, and he is going to take very, very good care of you."

His daughter neighed softly, and reached up one tiny hand to touch his face. Firenze felt happy tears well up in his eyes, but he held them back. He kissed her little forehead, and she yawned and went back to sleep.

He walked back into the Forbidden Forest with his precious bundle, and waved briefly to Hagrid, and Hagrid waved back. He turned his back on the half giant wizard, and made it to his herd without incident...

🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋

A year later during his daughter's naming ceremony, he chose the name Hannah, which was his mother's name, and settled down with a nice mare who had had fertility troubles of her own, and didn't mind that Hannah's late mother was a human witch.

They had two colts of their own, and in time, his actions banished Firenze, and his family, from the herd in any case, because he had so much favored an alliance with the wizarding world, rather than think of all of them as evil; and so we end this story of how the orphaned half blood centaur baby had found a home at last...