Twenty-Three

Levi's POV

I love you, big brother.

Lucy's last words have been replaying in Levi's mind every night. The last moments kept replaying over and over again. But something never sat right with Levi. He knows what he saw. He saw that bright light glow in Annie's mouth. Something that has never happened with any of the other Titans he's encountered before. Levi used his ODM gear and rushed toward Lucy once she entered Annie's mouth. Using his blades, he managed to cut Annie's jaw before she was able to swallow his sister. But his eyes widened when he didn't see her.

What the hell? he remembers thinking that day. Where the hell is Lucy?!

But he had to put that thought aside for the time being so they could stop Annie. Which they only half succeeded until Annie engulfed her whole body in this indestructible crystal. Levi wasn't sure how long time has passed, but each night he would return underground and glare at Annie's crystal.

This time was no different. He brought some books with him this time to conduct his research. Nothing about that incident made sense to him but the other Scouts just assumed this was his way of mourning. Mourning about the most important in his life.

"What did you do to her, you damn brat?" Levi muttered to himself. The doors behind him opened, Hange came right through with Eren, Armin, and Mikasa behind her.

"We knew we'd find you here!" Hange beamed.

"What is it?" Levi snapped. Eren took a cautious step back. Ever since Lucy's 'death,' Levi's been more on edge and snappy to everyone.

"Erwin wants to know if you're done with your report, sir!"

Levi growled under his breath. He didn't look at them. "The reports have been sent. Is that all?"

Armin noticed the pile of books on the desk. Curiosity got the better of him and he picked one up. Strange Unknowings the title read. Armin furrowed his brows as he picked up another book. Titans and their Capabilities.

Armin began reading the other books out loud, getting the attention of Eren and Mikasa. "Universal Paradox, Doctor Grayson's Research of the Unknown World, Mystery of the Multidimensional World."

"What's all this?" Eren wondered as he opened the last thing that was bookmarked in one of the books. He looked up at Levi confusingly. "Why are you looking up portals, sir?"

"Nothing to concern you about," Levi answered dryly.

Eren kept pushing. "Is this about Lucy?" Hange grabbed one of the books and started skimming through them. "Do you really think she fell through some portal?"

"Ooh, imagine if they were real!" Hange beamed. "Think of all the places we'd be able to go to. Aw, now, I want to go through a portal!"

"Do you think Vice-Captain Lucy fell through a portal?" Armin questioned Levi. "I know we live in a world of Titan's but Captain, this is something close to impossible."

Levi stayed quiet as he continued to look at Annie's crystal. Eren was getting frustrated. Everyone in the Scouts knows to expect lives lost. People die every day. But every since that day, Levi's been more brutal.

"Hey, he's talking to you!" Eren shouted. "All of us know how much Lucy meant to you but all this crazy research...it's useless. Her death was very tragic but you have to face the fact that Vice-Captain Lucy's dead!"

"Eren!" Armin warned his friend, afraid of what's to come.

Suddenly, Levi was in front of Eren and punched him.