Fifty

The Underground District.

It's located under the safest land that is being protected by the three outside Walls: Maria, Rose, and Sheena. An abandoned underground as left over from the sealed Immigration Plan. In this land cast aside from the light, it's not rare for those who are born and raised here to rot away without even seeing the surface once.

Lucy Ackerman was stitching one of Levi's, her older brother, shirts while he polished their knives in exchange. Her boyfriend, Farlan, was handing out money to the group of boys for their last job. She glanced up and noticed him slip in a few extra bills which warmed her heart, even though it wasn't shown on her face.

"You guys better not spend too much even if it's a mistake. We're being observed," Farlan warned them.

The guys stood up and smiled at him. "We know." The younger gentleman looked at his friends and added, "Let's go, guys!"

Farlan looked at Levi. "Jobs have been a lot easier since we got our hands on the 3D Maneuver Gear," he said. "Everyone's share has increased too."

Levi held Lucy's knife up as he inspect it for smudges. "It seems one has increased more than the others," he pointed out. "What's the reason?"

"It's his leg," Lucy pointed out. "Jan's leg has gotten worse. Medicine is really expensive. Last 'informant' told me the prices went up."

Levi glared at his sister at the mention of the last informant. He knows she's not actually sleeping with anyone since she began dating Farlan. But it never stopped her from seducing some clientele until she got information. Farlan wasn't too happy about the idea either, except there are times it comes in handy. For example, someone would tell her when the military police would show up or they were being set up. Some even offered shelter if they were ever on the run. Sure, he was grateful for it, but Farlan was scared to ask what she had to do in exchange for such things.

"Seriously...these damn Underground Merchants," Farlan sneered.

"Stairway Toll also went up," Lucy added as she held the sleeve of Levi's shirt close to her face, making sure there were no visible tears.

Farlan sighed sadly as he took a seat next to Lucy. "So, it's less likely for the poor to ever see the sunlight. We have to buy our way up no matter where we go. They increase the price as they want. Even if you manage to pay and get outside, without citizenship you can't stay long. You'll be sent back immediately. Apparently, the lack of sunlight causes people's legs to go bad. It's not like knowing it will change anything though."

"Your mother's was the same, wasn't it?" Levi asked. "So...that's why. Even so, it still looks like a large sum."

"It's compensation. It...might already be too late. At the very least, I hope he finds a good hospital."

Lucy stood from her spot, and ran her hand through Farlan's hair in comfort - which he appreciates, before walking over to Levi.

"I see," he said as he grabbed his shirt from Lucy.

Farlan held up the remaining cash. "How much more do we need to be able to live up there?"

His eyes traveled to Lucy as he thought, How long until we could finally be free and happy together?

The trio heard the door open. Levi and Farlan stood up as Lucy grabbed her blade from Levi's hands. She was about to make her way to the door but Levi gently pulled her back and stood in front of her as Farlan grabbed the doorknob. The small action made Lucy roll her eyes.