Thirty-Eight

Who the hell is this? Lucy wondered as she glanced at the mysterious stranger. Her body was slowly getting very weak from the poison. But by the look at the newcomer, her gut was telling her to be cautious of him.

"Stay behind me," Lucy panted as she stood in front of Itadori and Junpei.

Mahito noticed the tiny beads of sweat dripping down the girl's face and inwardly smirked, So this is the girl Geto's been talking about. All though, he was confused about Lucy being alive with all the poison in her body from Junpei's curse technique. Interesting. She should be dead by now. Aw, and here I was getting ready to prep a sob story about the girl dying by someone else's hands.

Itadori noted Lucy's ragged breathing. "Lucy," he stated his worry. His eyes bugged out as the blood from her wounds were pouring out. If the stingers hit me, I would have been fine. But Lucy...Oh, god. Why did she have to jump in front of me? He tried to stand up but Lucy pulled her blades out.

"Itadori, take Junpei and find Ijichi," she said, not once did her eyes leave Mahito. Itadori knew she was serious. She was giving him an order with her tone stating he shouldn't be arguing about it. But he can't leave her when she's hurt like this.

Mahito grinned as he descended the stairs. "It's nice to meet you," he greeted them. His arm began to transform and got bigger. "Girl from another world and Sukuna's vessel."

Junpei's eyes widened. "Mahito, no. Don't hurt them!" he shouted.

Mahito thrust his arm out, planning to pin the duo to the window. Things didn't go exactly as planned when he felt blades slicing through his arm. Lucy pushed the teenagers back as she sliced the gigantic arm.

This must be the curse Nanami was talking about, Lucy thought. A human form with a patched work face. He's strong. Stronger than that Mt. Fuji curse. She got into her fighting stance. One blade was e in front of her while the other was behind. If what Nanami said is true then I can't let that thing touch me or it's all over.

Lucy snapped her head back. "Junpei, I don't care what your relationship with this thing is, but get out of here," she ordered. "This curse...he's not your friend."

Junpei got up. "Wait, Lucy, you've got it all wrong," he argued. "Mahito's not a bad person -"

The curse himself smirked as his arm regenerated. "You're starting to get on my nerves," he said before he thrust his hand out again. It grew bigger, big enough for Lucy to not dodge it. His hand had enough force to push her out the window. His smile widened. "I was told to not kill you but I figured this would be a lot quicker than the poison."

Itadori gasped, "Lucy!"

"Poison?" Junpei breathed. Fear came over him along with guilt. Lucy's dead and it's all my fault.

Junpei's eyes widened. Disbelief that his 'friend' would do something like this. Mahito wasn't bad to him from the start. But that's what he wanted him to believe. Junpei began thinking back to Mahito teaching him about curses and what the curse himself can do. Slowly the pieces were coming together.

Mahito smiled as he placed his free hand on Junpei's shoulder. "You know, Junpei," he began. His cover was completely blown. "You are a pretty smart kid. But sometimes thinking too much can lead to even more foolish decisions than impulsiveness. You're a classic case of that. I'd even say...that you could actually be almost as foolish as those people you've called fools yourself." Junpei gasped. Itadori was about to charge at him but the curse was quicker and pinned him to the ground. "And that's why you'll die."

Mahito gave a wicked grin. Idle Transfigur-

Slash!

The curse looked down at his chest in confusion when he spotted a hook piercing it. He used his finger, releasing Junpei, to yank the strong core until another hook pieced his abdomen. He felt his body being forcibly yanked. Itadori looked behind him at Mahito's body flying past him. A foot collided with Mahito's cheek, which sent the curse across the hall.

"You're starting to piss me off," Lucy sneered. Itadori and Junpei lost their breath as Lucy, with blood dripping down her forehead, stood in front of them.

"Lucy," Junpei cried

"Save the waterworks for later. Now, this is your last warning, get out of this school and find a nerdy-looking fellow name Ijichi. Got it!" Junpei wasn't sure what to do. He wanted to help but he would just get in their way. And he felt really guilty because of everything. But he listened and ran. Lucy glanced back at Itadori. "You, too."

"Are you crazy? I'm not leaving you alone with hi -"

"That's an order, you maggot!" Lucy barked. "Let me deal with him while you take Junpei to safety. I'll be behind you shortly." A small groan came out of her lips as the poison began burning her veins."

Itadori watched with saddened eyes. "But you're hurt. You'll die if you keep fighting like this. Why can't I fight with -"

"BECAUSE I'M AN ADULT AND YOU'RE STILL A KID! I've got a chance to live my life but yours is just starting. Protecting you kids is my number one priority, right now!"

If Lucy dies, then she won't be able to go home, Itadori thought. She's willing to risk her life for us. The small moments they shared began plaguing his mind. The time she shared tea with Megumi. The day Nobara to do her hair - even though she was annoyed. The very first time she laughed with him and Junpei. And lastly, the moment he saw Gojo change his wallpaper to her. I can't let her die. Not like this. Not because of me.

"And making sure you're happy is mine!" he shouted back. "You just started to smile and I don't want to be the only person who gets to see it. Our friends back at Jujutsu Tech, deserve to see it, too."

To ruin the small moment, Mahito got up and began stretching. "That hurt more than expected," he said as the hole in his limbs began healing. "But sorry, that won't work as long as I maintain the shape of my -."

Itadori had enough of Mahito and punched him across the face. This time he stood in front of Lucy as his fist began to glow. "This time, Lucy, it's my turn to protect you." For Gojo sensei.

Lucy tsked but couldn't help but feel a little proud of him. "Don't leave my sight," she ordered. "And if things decide to go south -"

Itadori grinned. "Then I'll run."

Mahito sighed in annoyance as he stood up again. "I told you that won't work. As long as I maintain -" he was cut off again when blood suddenly gushed out of his nose.

What's going on? Mahito gasped. He struck the shape of my soul. As well as my body. His eyes glanced at Lucy. And she's supposed to be dead by now. Who...no...What the hell is she? Mahito focused on Lucy before he saw something flicker in her eyes. Oh, now that's interesting. Geto should definitely know about this.

》》》》

A/N: Ha! You guys thought Junpei was gonna die. Not in this story. Yes, things seem a bit confusing right now everything will be revealed in later chapters.