Sixty-Seven

"What do you mean they escaped?" Maki asked the outraged Lucy.

Lucy's hands clenched against her sides as she recalls the last hour. Jogo was sent to distract her while Kenjaku and the others escaped. He tried to attack her but the craving for his flesh, along with the other curses, grew stronger. Jogo fought as hard as he could but ended up running away as Lucy threatened to finish him off unless they released Gojo. The volcano head could see the madness behind her eyes when she tried to attack him. He tried to set her body on fire but Lucy quickly crystalized herself, the only thing that burned was her hand. Jogo used that opportunity to escape.

"He was right there in front of me," Lucy sneered. Her mind flashed back to Gojo's worried look when he glanced back at her. "Satoru was right in front of me before that fake sealed him." Lucy's nails dug into the palm of her hands, hard enough to draw blood. "I wasn't fast enough to save him. I wasn't strong enough to get him back from that imposter!"

Lucy raised her fist and collided it with the wall beside her. Maki's eyes widened when it created a big gaping hole. She went to check on Lucy's hand, but her brows shot up when she saw Lucy's fist crystalized.

"What the h -" Maki began to ask. Her eyes went toward Lucy's crystalized hand, then the fully regenerated - and still smokey - hand, until they landed on the curses eating each other. "Did you do this?"

Lucy looked at her fist, which was going back to normal. "I guess seeing Satoru like that woke my cursed technique."

"So that earthquake was your mess?" she heard Naobito ask from his place against the pillar. "Now we gotta clean it up."

Lucy narrowed her eyes at him. "Excuse me, you drunken slob. What exactly have you been doing besides looking for a cheap bottle of sake?"

Maki grabbed her shoulder before Lucy could clobber the living daylights out of him. "Ignore him, I usually do anyway. He's been useless at this point."

Lucy sighed. "What about Nobara and Akari?"

"We had to split. Something happened to Ijichi after he left your group." Her eyes widened when she realized Lucy was alone. "What about Fushiguro? And Nanami?"

"They're in good hands, trust me." Her eyes glanced over at Naobito. Lucy didn't trust that man one bit, even if they were allies for the time being. So, she didn't want to tell Maki about Levi just yet.

Maki turned her head and understood that Lucy didn't want to say too much. "Ok," she said, already giving Lucy her trust. "Now, wanna explain what happened before we met up?"

The three walked around the station, Lucy giving Maki bits and pieces about what happened. The only thing she left out was Levi's arrival.

》》》》

Itadori and Levi were running toward the station. The scene from the streets mortified Itadori. Corpses from curses and people were everywhere, a real bloodbath. One curse leaped on a man and chomped him up before another curse lunged and ate the first curse.

"There's so many of them everywhere," Itadori breathed. 

"Leave them, there's nothing more we can do," Levi ordered.

"I can't just ignore them."

"And the station is just up ahead? Saving your teacher is what we were tasked to do. What do you think is going to happen when you get down there anyway? You think you can kill all those curses with just your fists? What will happen if they bring an innocent and you freeze up in the middle of the battle because you don't want to hurt them?" Itadori looked down in defeat. "If you don't want to die...think."