Twenty-Four

Megumi knocked on Lucy's door a few times before entering her room. After a bad day like today, he thought she would have been thrashing stuff around or destroying her room. What he didn't expect was to be greeted by Housekeeper Lucy. Well, not a housekeeper. Lucy was dusting her room with a handkerchief on her head and another one covering her mouth.

Oh, no, this is bad, he thought.

"You know there's no dust in here," he called out cautiously, not wanting the girl to bash his head in.

Lucy turned around and lowered the handkerchief that was over her mouth, "And you know it's rude to come in without the other's approval. I could have been changing or something."

"If you were changing then you would have locked your door," he pointed out. He let out a grunt when Lucy threw a broom at him. "What's this for? My room's already clean."

"But mine isn't," Lucy said before going back to dusting. "So make yourself useful."

Megumi raised his brow before looking around the room. There was nothing dirty about Lucy's room. He even ran his fingers under the table, like she showed him, and didn't feel any dirt or debris. If anything, Lucy's room is the cleanest out of everyone's. But he didn't want to piss her off any further and began sweeping the floor.

"I heard what happened," Megumi began.

"I figured," Lucy said. "That idiot, Gojo, told you. It's none of your concern what happened."

Megumi stopped. "None of my concern? Don't you think that's a bit..."

Lucy turned and glared at him. "What?"

He sighed. "It's nothing. I'm not here to pressure you into talking if you don't want to. But it would be nice to let people in once a while and let us know what's bugging you."

"And here I thought you were the smartest from the bunch."

"It was either me or the girls," Megumi informed her. "I know you wouldn't want them in here."

"So you all thought it would be best if you came instead?"

"Pretty much."

Lucy stalked toward Megumi. The boy began panicking as he felt the deadly aura surrounding the girl. Did we make the wrong choice?

Megumi closed his eyes as he expected to get punched. Except he didn't feel a fist connected to his face or a knee to his nether region, he felt Lucy's hand on top of his head. Megumi slowly opened his eyes to see Lucy very close to his face.

"Smart move. Otherwise, I would have punched those brats," Lucy said before letting Megumi go. She grabbed one of her chairs and pushed it forward. "Sit."

Is that really all it took? Megumi thought as he sat down.

Once Megumi sat down Lucy leaned against the table with her arms crossed. "Now, what do you want to talk about?"

"For starters, we can talk about what happened."

"There's nothing for me to talk about. My brother was right in front of my eyes and suddenly he's not. That's all that happened."

"Well, how did you feel?"

Lucy tsked. "What are you a therapist now?"

"Attacking me won't make you feel better. Talking about what happened might make you feel better. I don't know what happened to you in your world to make you like this but you do have people here who will listen to your story."

"My story?" Lucy slowly nodded as she marched over to Megumi. "You wanna hear my story?" Megumi's eyes widened as Lucy staddled him in his seat. She grabbed the back of his head before tilting it back so he could look at her. "I'll tell you an interesting story about this helpless little girl who used to live in the Underground. Her mother died when she just a kid. The only person she had left was her brother. They went days, maybe even weeks, without food or water until some crazy bastard found them on the brink of death. He took the kids in and showed them how to survive. While he taught the brother how to fight, you want to know what he taught the little girl? How to manipulate men using the only weapon she's got. Her own body."