Thirty-Five

After what seemed like a lifetime, Lucy finally got in touch with Ijichi. She pretty much scolded him for not answering earlier and told him she and Itadori were having dinner with Junpei, which surprised him.

"What?!" he pretty much screamed. "You're at Junpei Yoshino's house? That's a bit risky."

"Well, we wouldn't have to be if someone picked up their phone earlier," Lucy retorted. Itadori and Junpei watched in fear as Lucy's calm voice had an icy demeanor to it. "We're about to have dinner, call when you're near."

Lucy didn't give time for him to answer before hanging up.

"Is she always like this?" Junpei whispered to Itadori.

"Yeah, but, she's like that with everyone. Lucy's a great person once you get to know her," Itadori said.

Junpei nodded as Lucy walked over. "Lucy, I want to apologize again for my teacher -"

Lucy sighed as she pulled the chair back and sat down. Her right leg crossed over the left while she leaned back in her seat. "There's nothing to apologize for. You did nothing wrong." Junpei's mom finished setting up the dinner table and handed Lucy her tea. "He started to sweat like a pig and bark like a dog with a leash tied around him."

"Yeah, that was kinda gross," Itadori paled a bit. "Hopefully, he doesn't find his pants and just goes home."

Junpei's mom started to laugh. "What happened to his pants?" she asked curiously.

"I hid them. I didn't like the way he was flirting with Lucy, so...I pulled them off him and ran."

"Aww, I completely understand." Junpei's mom motioned to Lucy as she took a sip of her tea. "Just look at her. What man wouldn't want to get in her pants?!"

Junpei's eyes widened as his cheeks flushed in embarrassment. "Mom!" he shouted, noticing the can of beer in her hand.

She ignored him and gushed at Lucy, who was serving Itadori and Junpei. "I bet you get all the guys, huh? I'm surprised my son managed isn't a blushing mess."

Junpei turned redder. "Mom!"

Itadori decided to jump in on the conversation. "You think that's bad. You should see my teacher," he tried to turn the attention away from Junpei. "There was this one time Lucy was helping me with some homework and here he comes with his phone with the camera on, trying to get her to say she's a material girl."

He's seriously telling that story? Lucy thought.

"Ha ha ha, material girl," Junpei's mom burst into laughter.

"So here he is, trying to shove the phone in her face while pouting and asking her if she could say it. Lucy was already annoyed by it and pushed the camera away. That would have been the first clue he needed to stop but he kept asking and asking until she punched him into the mop bucket."

"It's not that funny," Lucy deadpanned. "And I don't know what this material girl is but it sounds stupid."

Itadori smiled at her. "Come on, Lucy, it's good to laugh once in a while." Lucy could see the lightbulb going off in his head. So Itadori began to tell another story about something that happened to him when he was in school. He and Junpei's mom were laughing their butts off while they ate dinner. Lucy could only watch in boredom, not finding anything funny. "So Takashi..he's all full of confidence as he yells this is a larva of a weird species. It might even be poisonous. Get back! Don't touch it! So then, of course, I picked it up and it turned out to be a con jack noodle from lunch!"

Junpei's mom was about to collapse from all the laughing she's been doing. And Itadori holding up a noodle wasn't helping much either. She kept slurring her words as she laughed.

"Mom, you had too much to drink," Junpei tiredly stated. He jumped when Lucy placed her hand on his shoulder.

"Take it easy on her," she said. "She might be embarrassing you now, but a few people out there wish they have a relationship like you and your mom."

"Was your mom this embarrassing?" Junpei asked.

Lucy picked up her tea. "Don't know. She died when I was young, so I don't remember much of her."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Stop apologizing. I had my brother with me and that was all the family I needed."

Lucy took a sip of her drink, only to spit it out on Junpei's face as Itadori grabbed the plate Junpei's mom handed him. He dropped to the ground and held the plate in his hands while crying, "Wilson! Wison! Forgive me, Wilson!"

Despite the fact that he got tea on his face - thankfully not scolding hot - Junpei started to laugh. "That's from Cast Away, isn't it?!" he asked as Lucy went into a coughing fit.

Itadori smiled. "That's right."

Junpei's mother looked confused. "Is that from a movie?" she wondered. "I don't get it."

Worried about the girl, Junpei began patting Lucy's back as she covered her mouth. "You ok, Lucy?" He tilted his head to the side as her shoulders started to shake.

Itadori looked confused until Lucy looked up. Her eyes were closed as her hand covered her mouth. Her shoulders continued to shake as she used her other arm to hold her stomach. A small foreign sound came out from her. Itadori soon smiled when he realized what was going on. Lucy Ackerman is laughing.

He decided to keep going and grabbed the scallion

He decided to keep going and grabbed the scallion. "It's fire!" he referenced another movie as his face changed.

Junpei and Lucy continued laughing, unknown to Lucy about the pinkette snapping a photo of her to give to a certain sorcerer. Junpei's mom could only watch with a small smile on her face as she watched her son interact with his new friends.