CHAPTER THIRTY

THE MOMENT THEY were near the cave, Yoshiko's nose picked up multiple scents. The one that was captivating her nose was the smell of agony. Followed by pain, sadness and blood.

What's going on in there?

"I'm picking up mana from over there!" Gauche yelled.

"Then the kidnapped children are in those caves?!" Theresa asked.

Yoshiko noticed a familiar-looking boy. Marco.

"That kinda looks like Rebecca's little brother!" Asta yelled. "Yoshiko, is it Marco?"

Yoshiko sniffed the air. She gave Asta a nod.

"Take us down a little, Mister Gauche," Asta told him.

"Not my problem. Marie's the only one I care about," Gauche said.

Eh?

"Are you serious?"

"That's horrible!"

"If you want to get down then let go," Gauche said.

Leaving Asta with no choice, he jumped down.

"Asta! Gauche, you're unbelievable!" Theresa said as she and Yoshiko went down.

Gauche went through as the two women reached Marco. Asta became part snowman as he was covered in a ball of snow.

"Marco! Snap out of it!" Asta yelled.

Yoshiko noticed his wounds. She frowned before opening her grimoire.

[Winter Recovery Magic: Calm Winter Breeze]

The wounds started fading away.

"This is awful. He's covered in scrapes and bruises and he's getting frostbites!" Theresa noted. "Thank you, Yoshiko,"

Yoshiko just nodded, continuing to keep the spell in its best shape.

We got Marco, Rebecca! Don't worry!

"It's no use, he's under a spell and his mind isn't here,"

Asta proceeded to take out his sword and tapped Marco in the head with it. Yoshiko noticed that the light in his eyes had returned. He looked around as he adjusted to his surroundings. Then, he noticed Asta and Yoshiko.

"Asta, sister, big sis Yoshiko..." Marco muttered. "Ah, this is so nice..."

"What in the world happened?"

"I... I don't know,"

"Marco! We have to go rescue to save your big sis and the other kids! Think you can stay here on your own?" Asta asked but Yoshiko could tell he was afraid. And he was because he hugged Yoshiko tightly.

"No! I'm scared, Asta, big sis Yoshiko! Stay with me!" He pleaded.

Yoshiko patted his head soothingly, putting some of her recovery magic in it to calm his nerves. That's when Asta threw his robe on him.

"What are you talking about?! You're a man too! Well, I guess there's no helping it! I'll let you borrow my Black Bulls robe just this once! If you wear it, you'll be fine! It's got Magic Knight courage!" Asta said with a thumbs up. "We'll be back, so wait for us!"

"Uh... Uh-huh!" Marco nodded with his eyes shining with happiness. Yoshiko had flowers around her.

He's so cute!

And then she hugged him tightly.

"And that's just a loan, got it?! You'd better give it back!" Asta said.