CHAPTER ONE HUNDRED NINE

EVERYONE WATCHED AS Patri cried in Yoshiko's shirt. They wanted to pull them away but no one had the heart to. Not after Yoshiko's deceleration.

"Hey, gotta ask you something," Kazuya said to Ryuko.

"What's up?" Ryuko asked.

"About my kids... I had three of them, Yuuta, Naomi and Ayato... What happened to them?" She asked.

"Oh, that..." Ryuko said. "All of them are alive and doing well,"

Kazuya's eyes slightly widened.

"Really? Did Yuuta take over the tribe when the seal became undone?"

"Better. His grandson is the current head of the tribe," Ryuko said. "Before that, his daughter. He became the head and retired about 35 years ago,"

"That's reassuring... and that dragon we saw earlier... he's Yuuta's..."

"Son. Yoshiko and I are his grandchildren," Ryuko said with a smile.

Kazuya blinked in shock. This entire time, she was fighting with her great-grandchildren. It was an odd feeling. But she gave him a small grin.

"Weird as fuck. Does anyone have a pen and paper?" She asked.

"Why do you need one?"

"To write to my kids. You know, since I'm kinda alive and all,"

"Yoshiko has a notebook," Asta said. "She carries it all the time. I'm sure she wouldn't mind if I gave you a paper or two,"

"Great. I need three papers," Kazuya said.

'She wants to write to each of her kids...' Ryuko thought.

Asta gave her Yoshiko's notebook and pen. Kazuya took it in her hands.

"Thank you," she said.

Patri and Yoshiko finally separated. Patri stood up before Yoshiko. His eyes were red from crying but he knew that it was time to go.

"Take this," Valtos said, handing him the grimoire.

"...Thank you, Valtos," he said.

"No matter what you really are... it was you who saved me that day," Valtos said, recalling his past.

Did... something happen to Mr. Valtos in the past?

"Most probably..."

"You don't tell me..." Asta asked.

"Yes," Patri nodded. "Asta, with your demon-destroyer sword, undo my reincarnation!"

"...Are you sure?"

"Of course... I've had regrets in this second life... But I fear death no longer," Patri said, putting the sword by his chest. "I believe that just disappearing like this is not enough to atone for everything I've done but..."

"Patri..." Rhya said.

"I'm going on ahead!" Patri said with a closed-eyed smile. "I'm sorry, Licht... but I'm leaving the rest to you!"

"Alright," Licht said.

"Goodbye, Yoshiko. And I'm sorry for everything until now," Patri said. "Perhaps it's too late to ask for a hug but..."

Yoshiko gave him a hug from the side. Patri was shocked but he welcomed the hug and returned it.

"I will... miss you... as well," Yoshiko said.

'Fighting alongside Licht, Yoshiko and the others... until the very end... made me truly happy...' Patri thought as the circle behind him began to disintegrate.