CHAPTER FORTY-THREE

GUELDRE WAS BEING investigated using Marx's magic. Hiruko was seriously ready to cut off his arm.

"Wow. That's quite a list. Embezzlement and stealing national treasure-class magic items on the black market... Smuggling dangerous magic potions from other countries... abusing his own squad members and stealing precious items from the Dragon Tribe..." Yami said.

"This isn't good. If the Dragon Tribe gets further involved with the Clover Kingdom, it could lead to war. We're already on thin ice with them," Charlotte said.

War?! Yoshiko thought, looking around for an explanation.

"Yeah... your family and the Clover Kingdom have been on bad terms for nearly five hundred years"

Why?

"Your indirect ancestor, Hikari Yamashita, was killed by humans while she was a few months pregnant with her first child,"

What...? How terrible...

"Ever since that, dragons hold a grudge against humans -- royalty specifically. It's calmed down over the century since your cousin married into royalty and your father had two children with a human. Most importantly, the current leader's son -- the heir -- married a human. But it's still not enough. We're not like humans. We don't forget such events that easily. Not only that, we haven't gotten an apology from the humans,"

I don't exactly get it but at the same time, I do...

"All you need to understand is we're not in good conditions with them,"

"Even without being a traitor, that guy's pitch-black. He might be fit for the Black Bulls because of all that black..." Yami said.

"What are you on about?!" Jack demanded.

"This is why he didn't want us to look into his memories,"

"Most important of all, kidnapping barrier mages! That's direct cooperation with the Eye of the Midnight Sun. Is that how they were able to infiltrate the royal capital?" Marx asked.

"Looks like it," Hiruko said with his arms crossed.

"He was dazzled by rare magic items and made deals with terrorists... what a fool," Nozel said.

"Well, unfortunately, he was always like this," Yami said.

"The barrier mages must have been killed already..." Mizuki noted.

"What monstrous creatures you humans are, easily killing your own kind like that..." Hiruko said. "It honestly makes me sick,"

"It's disgusting how you can kill without batting an eye," Mizuki agreed, placing a hand over her mouth.

"Huh, what?" Asta asked.

"Dragons are very different than humans," Julius started. "They may be strong and a little psychotic but one thing that separates them from any race is one thing; they have never wanted to kill their own kind,"

"Moving on," Ryuko started. "I think it's best to keep this a secret. A captain betraying us? How horrible. Make sure to check up on your squad as well. If a captain can do it, so can a squad member,"

"I agree with Ryuko. Make sure to do that,"

"Yes sir!" They all shouted.

-&-

After saying goodbye to Rill, Mizuki and Ryuko, Yoshiko along with her squad was called to Julius' office. Hiruko was leaning on the desk, smoking a cigarette while Julius stared out the window.