CHAPTER THRITY-SIX

RIN FLEW nearby Yoshiko monitoring her health. She noticed her teary eyes and wiped them away.

"It's going to be okay. Your brother and captain Yami will take care of it. Just focus on getting better, okay?"

Yoshiko could only stare at her.

"Alright! Better get ready, round brows!" Asta shouted. "You're gonna pay for taking away my future wife,"

"No, scratch that," Yami said kicking him down.

"I told him that we'd show him the power of the captains, so we'll do it," Yami said. "Plus if you do it, you'll die,"

Ryuko took out his own blade, covering it with his light magic.

"Say what?!" Asta asked. "But I'm all pumped up! What am I supposed to do with all this energy?!"

"Not my problem," Yami said.

Ryuko noticed Valtos getting up.

"Hey, go deal with that guy. He's a pain," Ryuko said pointing at him. "His spatial magic's off the chart. Not even someone like Finral or Langirs can match his strength. But he's cocky so he'll lose as long as you keep a calm head,"

"Yes, sir!" Asta said.

"Now then..." Yami said as Ryuko quit talking to Asta and faced Licht. "It's been a while since... we've gone all out as a team,"

At that moment, both of them emitted a large amount of mana with Ryuko's becoming bright and Yami's becoming dark. Licht was shocked by their presence.

Using reinforcement magic, Yami leapt forward towards Licht at great speed. Using his dark magic cloaked katana, he slashed it down vertically to where Licht originally stood. The latter dodged with here he was standing breaking.

Behind Licht, Ryuko slashed two light attacks towards Licht. He managed to dodged and send a wave of light attacks that the two captains.

Ryuko narrowed his eyes and conjured up a spell.

[Light Dragon Creation Magic: Ione's Fangs]

Because both magics were forms of light magic, the attacks cancelled out.

Because we're both light magic-users, our magics cancelled out. However, because he is the light dragon's host... he has the advantage.

Meanwhile, Yami used his own magic to stop the attacks.

[Dark Magic: Cloaked Lightless Slash]

The light attacks were absorbed into Yami's slash making Licht's theory correct; dark magic can absorb other magic.

I knew it. My magic is being drawn in! So this is the power of dark magic!

"Hey, jerk. You didn't finish telling us that story of yours, did you?" Yami asked getting closer. "Lemme hear the rest of it,"

"I'm interested too," Ryuko said. "The fact that you know something that is only told to certain members of the dragon tribe makes you a prime suspect,"

"What's your real goal here? That grimoire means you're a citizen of the Clover Kingdom, right? Why are you attacking it?" Yami asked as he slashed twice more only for Licht to dodge.

"You're a foreigner too... Haven't you noticed them? The distortions in this kingdom. Some are on the brink of starvation, while others have more than they can eat and throw the excess away. People are ranked by how much or how little mana they have but, some have great magic but are discriminated against for reasons of birth. People of different races such as the dragon tribe are hated simply because they have better physical and magical prowess. And what they hate more is when a member of the tribe marries a lowly human. Just like they did with Ryuko's parents," Licht said.