Episode 1-10: A Garden Spat!

We went to the woods behind the botanical garden after our last period as planned.

"Whoa!  There really are a ton of chestnuts just layin' around.  I'm gonna be livin' large on chestnuts tarts!  Mmm!  Let's get grabbin'--YOWCH!  Myah!  The chestnut spines pricked my paws!", Grim groaned in pain.  "I don't think we can do this with our bare hands.  And we need something to put them in, too.", Deuce.  "Maybe we can find some supplies in the botanical garden?", Ace.  "Let's take a look.", Deuce.  

We reached the temperate zone in the botanical garden.  "Whoa, I didn't realize this place was so huge.", Ace.  "It's so beautiful.", I spoke aloud.  "If it's this large, it's got to have a groundskeeper.  Let's split up and look.", Deuce.  "Sure.  Dibs on the right side.", Ace.  "Then how about I go left, while Grim and Kalin go straight ahead?", Deuce.

As we went our way, we took a hard look around.  "Hey, come take a look at this!  There's a ton of fruit growing here!  Smells like they're ripe, too!", Grim was more excited about the products then finding the supplies.  "Now Grim, don't even think about steal--", I got caught off when I felt something I stepped on.

"..Ouch!", I then a heard a voice nearby.

"Feels like I just stepped on something...", I look around to see what it was until I saw some movement.  "Hey!  You got some nerve steppin' on my tail and just walkin' away!", a man with animal ears appeared of the plants to the side of the walkway.  

*(!) ...a tail!? (!)*  

"Are you the groundskeeper?  Not sure you oughta be talkin' to students that way, pal.", Grim came in.  "Ain't nothin' worse than bein' in the middle of a good nap and havin' some jerk step on your tail.  "I am so sorry!", I try my best to apologize.  "You...  I know you.  You're that herbivore from orientation who couldn't use magic.", the man says.  He then leans forward and starts to smell me.  My cheeks lit up a little.  "Eeek..", Kalin.

*(!) Oh crap, is he gonna notice I'm a girl!? (!)*

"Huh.  It's true.  You don't smell of magic at all.", he backs up only to say that.  "Eh?", he didn't notice?  "Well, can't say it'd be much fun to hurt someone so helpless.  Still gonna do it, though.", he says.

*(!) Well then, guess he's just like the others and wants to rub it in (!)*

"I dunno what's up with this guy, but when he looks at me, it makes every follicle of fur stand on end...", Grim started to freak a bit.  I look to him thinking he isn't wrong, but it's probably because of the tail and ears.

"No one gets to stomp on my tail and just walk away without payin' the price.", he steps closer.  "I'm in a bad mood on account of bein' woken up, from my nap, too.  That's gonna cost you a tooth.", he's closing the distance.  "Oh, no...!", I start to panic.  Next thing I know he grips onto my shirt holding me close so I can't run.  With his other hand he forms a fist.  "Kalin hurry, let's get out of here.", Grim tries to tell me.  As much as I was scared, I'll face it despite the pain that's about to come.  I clench my fist preparing for the worst until...  I take a closer look into his eyes.

*(!) Wait...  his eyes, are they? (!)*

"Leona!  There you are!", a voice called out from behind him.  "Heh?", he looked to see who it was.  "I knew I'd find you here!  We got after-school classes today, remember?", he told him.  "Ugh...  And now I've got this guy on my tail...", he starts to lose his grip on me.  After he let me go, I kinda stumbled on my feet.  "Leona, you've already had to repeat one year.  If you get held back again, we'll be in the same grade!", the boy also with animal ears said.  "Oh, put a sock in it already.  I'm tired of all yer yappin', Ruggie.", the man name Leona says.  "Look, you think I like always being on your case?  C'mon, man.  You act like it'd be hard for you.  You could skate through life if you'd just TRY.  Come on!  Let's go already!", Ruggie.  "Hrmph...  Next time you stink up my territory, there's gonna be a price to pay, herbivores!", Leona glared at me and Grim with his last words.  They soon left and was out of our sight.  "Myah!  I don't like the sound of that!  What is up with this nutso?", Grim.  "Yeaaah, I don't think he's the groundskeeper...", I told Grim.

*(!) Phew, that was close!  I thought I would leave with a broken jaw.  But Leona...  There was something about him... (!)*

When we got back to the meeting point in front of the entrance, I fixed up my shirt from when he gripped on it.  "Yo, guys, we found baskets and tongs.", Ace.  "What in the world happened to you two?", Deuce noticed me fixing my shirt and Grim being a little jumpy.  "Oh, right, the chestnuts!  We gotta gather those chestnuts so I can get my tart on!", Grim realized.  "We'll fill 'em in on the crazy groundskeeper while we forage.", Grim told me.

On our way over to the woods, we explained to them the events that took place on our end and the encounter we had.  "...and then he peaced out!", Grim finished with the final details.  "Yeah, no way was that guy the groundskeeper.", Ace.  "Hey, you ok?", Deuce looked to me.  "Yeah, I'm fine really.", I reassured him.  "Y'know, now that I think about it, he WAS wearin' the golden vest of that Pajama-clog dorm.", Grim.  "Pajama...clog?  You mean Savanaclaw?"  You know, I'm starting to think that there's an awful lot of delinquents here at Night Raven...", Deuce.  "All right, that should be enough chestnuts.  Let's get these baskets over to Trey!", Ace.  "Myahaha!  Now that we're all gassed up, it's destination: Flavortown, baby!", Grim.

We met up with Trey in the Night Raven College kitchen.  "Welcome back.  Looks like you got plenty!", Trey.  "Now you can make up some massive tarts!", Grim.  "Well, the bigger the tarts. the harder it'll be to peel all these nuts, so...good luck with that!", Trey.  "We have to peel all of these...?  Suddenly the whole room is spinning...", Deuce.  "Preparation is the key to good baking.", Trey.  "Yeah, yeah, I know.  We've come this far.  We're not giving up now!", Ace.

Same thing as usual me and Ace had to do the manual labor while Grim and Deuce did the magic.  Ace wasn't too bad though and Trey was even impressed of how we did and how much energy we had.  It was hard to peel them at first, but once I got the hang it, it got easier.  We all peeled all the way through to the end.  But when we we're just relieved to be finished, Trey let's us know that the next step is some straining.  Ace, Deuce, and Grim we're taken aback by that.  Ace groaned of how much more work there is.  I kinda expected it though since baking apparently has more than just preparing ingredients.