Episode 4-27: Thwarted by Heart!

After making it back to my room, I changed to my casual clothes again before letting the Octavinelle boys in.  We then sat around to discuss what Jade discussed with Kalim.

"Good work, Jade.  Did you have your "talk" with Kalim?", Azul.  "Yes, sir.  It was just what you expected.  It's likely that Kalim is being magically mind-controlled by someone who is making him do these things.", Jade.

"Mind control?!", Grim.

"Someone's making him do it?", Kalin.

*(!) This rings a bell for me... (!)*

"Is that even possible?", Grim.

"You know how Ruggie has magic that manipulates the body?  There's also hypnosis magic that takes control of a target's mind.  But it requires a far higher degree of skill and magical power than its bodily counterpart.  Which means very few magicians are capable of using it.", Jade.  "You gotta have skills and power on par with Azul for that.", Floyd.  "Even I would be hard-pressed to control living creatures with their own egos like humans.", Azul.

"Oh, so like how Seth took control of Kalin's mind.", Grim.

"...What?", Azul.  "......", Jade and Floyd.

All of them had shocked faces from what they just heard from Grim.

"Grim...!", Kalin.

I instantly grab Grim and keep his mouth shut from spilling anymore.

"Now what's this?  Nurse shark has that kind of ability?", Floyd.

"Nurse shark?", Kalin.

"That's his nickname for Seth.", Jade.

"Nevermind that.  Kalin, if you won't let Grim explain, won't you please indulge us?", Azul.

The tone Azul was as usual, but the look in his eyes was serious and it was clear he wasn't gonna let me off the hook.

"*Sigh*...  Fine, I'll tell you.", Kalin.

It was then I released Grim from my hold.  So I explained to all of them, with the help of Grim, of how Seth used his unigue magic and how he used it on me.

After awhile...

"...So you mean to tell me, a magic that can only be more effective towards others with magic capability, ...he was able to work on you?  Even though it had very low chances of having effect on those without.", Azul.

"Yeah, I still don't understand it either.", Kalin.  

"It's still unexpected that someone other than Leona would have skills of magic as powerful as that in Savanaclaw.", Jade. "This means he'll be more fun to challenge than Sea Lion. Heh heh heh.", Floyd.  "......  As much as this is amusing to get into in the future, it still doesn't say of who in Scarabia is capable of that kind of magic.", Azul.

"But I don't think anybody in Scarabia is half as good as you, Azul.  Even their own housewarden Kalim's big unique magic spell is just a glorified waterspout.  And their vice housewarden Jamil was sayin' he got five across the board outta the ten-level grading scale.", Grim.

"I wouldn't be so sure.  You know what they say-- a clever hawk hides it's talons.", Azul.  "So who's mind-controllin' Sea Otter, and why?", Floyd.  "I'm afraid I couldn't get any answers there.", Jade.  "You couldn't figure it out?  Even with your unigue magic spell?", Floyd. 

"Wait wait wait.  Jade's unigue magic?  Come to think of it, we've never seen Jade's unique spell.  What's it do?", Grim.

"Floyd, what have I told you about blurting out the details about my unique magic in the presence of others?", Jade.  "I don't see the harm in disclosing this to Kalin and Grim, actually.  Knowing a unigue magic's function wouldn't make a magic-bereft human any more susceptible to it than they already are.", Azul.