Episode 3-18: Playing Cheap!

"Come forth, ice!  HYAH!", Deuce.

Deuce casts some of his ice magic.  Ace followed after him.  Guess they didn't want to throw in the towel in yet.  But it was still to avail, as it still avoided Floyd.

"Might wanna try upping the ante there, bud.", Floyd.

"Hey, Deadeye Deuce, here's an idea: try actually HITTING with one of those shots!  Hyah!", Ace.

Ace casts his ice magic as well towards Jade and like Deuce, he failed to hit his target.

"Heh heh heh.  Come, now.  Put in some effort.", Jade.

" I don't see you doing any better over there!", Deuce.  "No way.  How could I miss like that...", Ace.  "Tch.  Step aside.  I'll handle this!  RAGH!", Jack casts his ice magic now.  "What?!  My spell swerved before hitting them!  I see what's goin' on...", Jack.

"At least Sea Urchin knows how to pay attention.", Floyd.  "I shouldn't be surprised that a land beast has a keen eye.", Jade.  "Since I'm a nice guy, I'll do you a solid and explain why none of your spells are hitting us.  I've got this unigue magic, Bind the Heart, see?  It's a handy little number that interferes with your magic to ensure it fails!  Ain't that just neato?", Floyd.

*(!) So that's how they beat a lot of the student's back at the lounge... (!)*

"That ain't "neato" at all!  It's cheatin', is what it is!", Grim.

"*Sigh*  Floyd, do you really have to spell out your unique magic gimmick to them?", Jade.  "What's the big deal?  Knowing isn't gonna help 'em any.", Floyd.  "Fair enough.  At least your magic is in good form today.  If only you could be more consistent about it.  When you're not in the mood, it never works at all.  That's rather hard to plan around, you know.", Jade.  "Better run, kiddos!  If I catch you, my tailfin's gonna wring you out like a dirty dishrag!  Now, who should I squeeze first...?", Floyd smiles with excitement.

The first thing he looks to is me and it sends a little shiver down my spine.

"This is nothin' more than a game to them.  If we don't get outta here, they're gonna hang us out to dry!", Jack.

"Time for a temporary retreat!", Kalin.

As we make our way back, we hear last words from the twins.

"Aha ha!  Come back as many times as you want.  It won't make a lick of difference!  With those sorry legs of yours, you'll never outswim mermen.", Floyd.  "We'll be waiting for your next visit.", Jade.

"Rgh, this stinks!  I'll remember this, okay?!", Grim.  "Come on, Grim, let's go.", Kalin.  I grab him by the base of his ribbon bow and plant him on my shoulder as we get out of there.

Back at the Mirror Chamber...

"*Huff, huff*  You guys okay?", Deuce.  "I think so...", Ace.  "I wasn't expecting them to actually be mermen...", Jack.

"It was almost a feedin' frenzy there-- with us as the chum!  Swimmin' that fast ain't fair!", Grim.  I was still in shock as to seeing them being mermen and how they we're in my dream.  It was hard to get out of my head.

"Well, yeah.  Merfolk are literally in their element underwater.", Ace.

"But we gotta get that photo fast, or they're gonna confiscate Ramshackle Dorm...", Grim.

"We need to rework our plan here.", Deuce.  "Yeah.  Cater likes to say he's got his finger on the pulse of the community, so why don't we get some input from him?", Ace.  "It'd also be a good idea to go back to Savanaclaw and see what Ruggie and the others have to share.", Jack.

*(!) Speaking of Ruggie, what does Taika have to do with the Octavinelle Dorm...? (!)*