Episode 4-11: A Short Negotiation!

After dinner, the training drill was nothing like I expected.  This afternoon's defense mock battle was like a walk in the park compared to this.  Unlike before, we didn't end the mock battle until all of our magic expense were spent.  Kalim called it more effective if we gave it our all, quiet literally, to expand their magic uses.  Grim was run ragged as he had to keep firing different spells back to back.  The students were worn out halfway through but were still made to keep going on both sides.  Jamil did his best to follow Kalim's instructions but also tried to keep everyone spirits up.  Even for me, there wasn't an exception.  I had to give commands to Grim and to a whole squad of students when I barely know to give strategic orders to a select few at a time.  If I gave the wrong magic spell, then not only me but the one I gave the order to would be yelled at by Kalim.  Making the pressure fall on me to give the right magic command to avoid that scenario.  The more I worked at it, the more I felt exhausted, feeling like my head is spinning.  I fear it's only going to be worse from here for everyone here.

"That will be all for today.  Tomorrow morning, we march to the eastern oasis, where I will put you through your paces!", Kalim.

After he left, that's when everyone was free to express their thoughts.

"*Huff* *huff*  My arms and legs feel like noodles...", Scarabia Student A.  "Water...  Need water...", Scarabia Student B.  "And we have another day of melting in the desert heat ahead of us tomorrow.  Uuugh.", Scarabia Student C.  "What's come over the housewarden?  He never used to be like this.", Scarabia Student A.

"......", Jamil.

As the other students headed towards the dorm.

"*Pant* *Pant*  Finally, it's over.  He was all smiles and sunshine before.  What's the deal with the sudden one-eighty?", Grim.

As we walked, as I couldn't support Grim with my arms as I usually do when he's exhausted, since surprisingly my arms are exhausted from giving command after command.  So instead he clung unto my leg for support.

"I Imagine when he placed last in the Magift interdorms, and then Scarabia collectively scored at the bottom of exams...  He must have felt personally responsible.  He's had terrible mood swings ever since.", Jamil.

"That ain't a mood swing.  It's like he's a totally different person!", Grim.

"I've known him a long time, but that volatile temper has left me stumped as to how to approach him.  He'll say one thing, then do something else the next minute.  The way he goes on these power trips without warning is out of control.  The whole dorm used to look up to our housewarden, but this odd behavior has us all scratching our heads.  He's been making unreasonable demands, as you just saw...  I fear it's only a matter of time before the students reach the end of their rope.  I've done what I can to smooth things over, but this has gone beyond my ability to handle alone.", Jamil.

"Yeesh.  Between you and Trey over in Heartslabyul, you vice housewardens have it rough.", Grim.

"Hmm...", Kalin.

*(!) Even so, from Kalim to being so friendly, it's hard to believe, to being a strict training tyrant.  This can't just be about being on the bottom of the score board. (!)*

"Ah!", Jamil.

As I was thinking, Jamil came up to me.  He brought my attention when I felt his hands plant themselves on my shoulders.  

"W-What is it?", Kalin.

*(!) I didn't expect him to take that action. (!)*

"Of course.  You two are diamonds in the rough!", Jamil.