Episode 4-18: A Family's Fate!

"Seriously?  Why even ask for advice if you're gonna immediately reject it?!  What's your issue with my suggestion, anyway?", Grim.

"The Viper family has assisted the Asim family for generations.  How could I betray our history like that?  It would be beyond the pale.  Not to mention the lecture I would get from my parents...  I'm sorry, but it just wouldn't be right.", Jamil.

"I guess you make a good point, but that would mean you can't win no matter what.", Kalin.

"It is what it is.", Jamil.

"......", Kalin.

*(!) This brings back to the vision I had before.  But I still don't see the connection to this current problem.  Was there something more that the vision showed me that I didn't see? (!)*

"Okay, I get why you can't challenge Kalim to a duel.  But if the housewarden keeps actin' like this, he's gonna make life totally miserable for everybody in the dorm.  Riddle was bad enough, but this hot and cold thing Kalim's doin' is making it way worse.", Grim.

"Yeah.  He's not acting like a housewarden at all!", Scarabia Student A.  "He's not even meeting the job requirements.  This goes against our Scarabian spirit!", Scarabia Student B.

"What do you mean, "Scarabian spirit"?", Kalin.

"A sense of keen mindfulness-- a quality attributed to the Sorcerer of the Sands.  And to be housewarden of one of Night Raven College's seven dorms, you must be the most befitting of the dorm's spirit.  Anything less, and your are unqualified to be housewarden.  Dueling is essentially an easy way to determine this.  The seven dorms each have their own different spirits, and their own ways of determining who befits it.  For example, tradition in Pomefiore states that the housewarden is whoever can make the most potent poison.", Jamil.

"Gah, that's nightmare fuel!  So how'd Kalim get picked to be the head honcho of Scarabia?", Grim.

"He was nominated by the previous housewarden.  Through his prior work and virtues, he cultivated a reputation as the most befitting in the dorm.  I'll never forget how proud I was at his nomination.", Jamil.

"But he wouldn't have half that record if you hadn't been helping him!  Everybody in the dorm knows it.", Scarabia Student A.  "Why didn't the last housewarden choose you instead?!", Scarabia Student B.

"Don't blame him.  For a relative of the Asim family to choose me over the main house's heir would be...  Ah!", Jamil.

*(!) ...Relative? (!)*

"Seriously?  AGAIN with this Asim family stuff?", Grim.

"So that's what was going on.  I had no idea.  That sounds like blatant nepotism!", Scarabia Student A.  "Man, the Asim family plays way too dirty!", Scarabia Student B.

"Please, I implore you.  Forget what you just heard.", Jamil.

"Night Raven College is known as a big-name university precisely because it's a meritocracy.  Getting special privileges because of your parents is something that shouldn't fly here!", Scarabia Student A.  "He's right, Vice housewarden.  We won't stand for this!", Scarabia Student C.  "Social status and wealth aren't supposed to matter here on campus.  We're all supposed to be equals!", Scarabia Student B.

"But, ah...", Jamil.

"Scarabia is a dorm built around the Sorcerer of the Sands' spirit of mindfulness.  I've always felt that someone thoughtful like Jamil deserves the seat of house leader way more than Kalim.", Scarabia Student D.