Episode 4-15: Another Mood Swing!

Eating breakfast was a relief as we got to rest our tired feet.  To regain my energy, I went for the meat dishes, and some of the bread.  I tried to drink as much water as I could since it didn't feel like the heat left right away.  Kalim's unique magic was helpful but on the way back, Jamil wasn't kidding about the heat getting worse when it was close to the afternoon.  We barely made it back before high noon.

"*Homph* *Nom*  I know we gotta stage a prison break as soon as possible, but man...  As much as I hate to admit it, this food is to die for.  Or, well, to be Grim-napped for.", Grim.

"I'm not sure what you meant by that, but I'm glad you like the food.  Have some more!  Try this blue cheese from cow's milk for starters.  It's great on a cracker.  Here!", Kalim.

"Uh, nah, I'm good on crackers...", Grim.

"Please, no need to stand on ceremony!  Ah hah hah!", Kalim.

"Mrrrph?!  *Homph*  Mrrrph!", Grim.

"Heh heh.  Careful for what you wish for, Grim.", Kalin.

As he struggled to take the food by force, I could see Grim give me a sneering stare back at me for my choice of words.

"Kalim, don't stuff Grim's mouth so full of food.  You'll make him choke.", Jamil.

"Oh, sorry!  Please, take your time.  There's plenty more where this came from.", Kalim.

"*Chomp*  *Gulp*  I think you're missin' the point, pal...", Grim.

"We've still got ice cream left over from yesterday.  I always like to set out lots of different flavors, and then take a big spoon and scoop out however much sounds good of each one.", Kalim.

"Y-yeah?  You got a whole system for that?", Grim.

"Sure do!  No matter how full you are, there's always room for desert, right?  Hold on, I'll go fetch you some.", Kalim.  "Kalim, wait!  I'll get it.  You stay seated.", Jamil.  "I don't mind, really!  All you have to do is get it out of the freezer, right?", Kalim.  "Idiot.  You don't work as a servant, Kalim.  At least TRY to remember that you're the heir to the Asim family.  If word got out that I allowed you to do this, my parents would never let me hear the end of it.", Jamil.  

"......", Kalin.

*(!) Hearing their interaction banter reminded me of that vision of Jamil I had earlier.  I still have no clue why I was able to see it when it wasn't even a dream like the usual I've been getting.  But it reminded me back to that vision because it made me think of Jamil's face expression when he's by himself. (!)*

Seeing that expression in my head made my chest hurt for some reason.

"You're too serious about servitude, Jamil.  We're just classmates here at Night Raven College.  Can't we act like it?", Kalim.  "*Sigh*  Fine.  Just let me handle the actual scooping.  Would you help me carry it out to everyone?", Jamil.  "Easily done!", Kalim.

"*Rummage* *Rummage*", Grim.

I feel like Grim is trying to give me a signal without spilling anything.

"Hm?  What is it?", Kalim.

"What's what?  Nothin' to see over here.", Grim.

But I was just as confused as Kalim was.

"Okay.  Hold on, I'll be right back with dessert!", Kalim.

"...Y'know, I'm really startin' to get baffled here.  The way Kalim was talkin' just now, he wasn't exactly respectin' others' points, but he meant well enough.", Grim.  "Yeah, I know what you mean.  I still can't get a grasp of what's going on either.", Kalin.

*Tmp tmp tmp*

No sooner than a minute did Kalim come back about to say something.

"Well?  How long are you going to sit around eating?  Do you fancy yourselves royalty?!", Kalim.

"Whaaa?!", everyone.

"Get these dishes washed and put away, on the double!  And get ready for afternoon training!", Kalim.

"Y-yes, sir!", Scarabia Students.

"Erk!  We're back to scary Kalim again." Grim.

Grim then jumps behind my back to hide since Kalim came to us next.

"Kalin, you and Grim aren't getting out of this.  We'll be doing defense magic training until evening.  To the courtyard!", Kalim.

"This is going way beyond mood swings!", Kalin.

*(!) This isn't good... (!)*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everyone rushed to get the dishes and everything else put away as to not anger Kalim further.  Just as before, we set out to the courtyard, but this time it's high in the afternoon rather than late evening.  We barely got a break from the march this morning, and now we're set to hard defense magic training.

"You two, combine your fire magic!", Kalin.

I directed to two of the Scarabia Students to step up first.  Both went against Scarabia Student C with his wind magic.  Both of their fire attacks made decent hits, then ending with a fire wall combo, and Scarabia Student C barely made a hit.  But despite making the right call, Scarabia Student C got scolded by Kalim in how weak his wind magic was.

"Grim, use cosmic magic then transfer to water magic!", Kalin.

Scarabia Student C and B came up to this round.  Scarabia Student C tried his wind magic again against Grim.  It was better, but from the look on Kalim's face, it didn't please him.  Grim then used two cosmic attacks and it made Scarabia Student C fall back.  Scarabia Student B then came in his place and set two cosmic magic attacks at Grim.  Grim effectively got hit, but he pushed through with his water magic attack.  Scarabia Student B did well, but he still was afraid to hear Kalim's criticism like Student C did. 

"Hey, you two!  Go for a water attack combo!", Kalin.

I pointed to the rear Students to step up.  Scarabia Students A and B stepped up in this round.  The first student conjured and launched his water attacks.  He was close to defeating Student A, but he still made a comeback with a fire attack which did decent damage despite being not effective.  But while that happened, the other student made the final water attack against Student B before Student B could make their move.  

With both Student A and B were being drenched and worn, it didn't matter to Kalim if that round went well done or not.  He wasn't kidding when he said we were going to practice until evening.  Kalim made everyone get back into positions for another round, and the heat was starting to effect how the students performed their magic spells.  It was clear that breakfast wasn't enough to recuperate after the march. 

Grim and I were starting to feel the effects of the heat too.  There were times, my vision went hazy, and almost staggered on my feet.  But I know I have to endure it just like the others, including Grim, who has to put more effort into their magic casting.  I just hope that evening can come sooner for all our sakes.