Episode 2-10: A Detective Team!

After explaining what we've investigated so far...

"Ah...  So the headmage asked you to investigate.", Riddle.  I nodded.

"I knew it.  You guys didn't come to just wish Trey well.", Cater.

*(!) Okay, note to self, never let your guard down with this guy around.  He's sharper than he lets on. Not to mention, if I'm not too careful, he may find out I'm a girl! (!)*

"I must admit that I found the circumstances odd as well.  I've had Cater looking into it for me.", Riddle.  "And I found out that all the victims have been talented players like Riddle and Trey.", Cater.  "To be clear, it wasn't as if I had been pushed, or that I had tripped.  But I did feel a peculiar sensation, like... my body was moving of its own volition.", Riddle.

"The other victims said basically the same thing!", Grim.

"I believe we can safely surmise that potential Magift tournament players are being targeted.", Riddle.

"You think someone is causin' accidents to take out threats from the tournament?", Ace.

"The whole world will be watching.  A good performance can make a player's whole career.  It's no surprise that some would resort to underhanded methods to even the odds.", Riddle.

"Sure, but it doesn't make much sense.  I mean, you'd know if you got pushed off the stairs by a gust of wind magic or somethin', right?", Cater.

"Certainly.  I felt no external force.", Riddle.

"And some of the other victims had accidents in the classroom!  How do you explain that?", Cater.

"The culprit can tell us all about it when we capture him.  And we intend to help you do that.", Riddle.

"Myah?  YOU'RE gonna help us?  What's your angle?", Grim.

"You offend us, sir.  One of our housemates was injured-- why wouldn't we help him find justice?", Cater.

"We're all house-buds here.  Count us in.", Ace.

*(!) I don't know about Cater, but they definitely have an angle to get at. (!)*

"He's gonna pay for what he did to Trey!", Deuce.

"You two seem awfully enthusiastic about this.", Riddle.

"Ahhh...  I get it.  You're running for that open spot on our team, aren't you?", Cater.

"Heh.  Was it that obvious?", Ace.  "N-no!  That had nothing to do with it!  I just want to avenge our housemate!", Deuce.  "Uh huh...", Kalin.

"*sight* Fine...  Your performance during the investigation will be taken into account.", Riddle.

"Woo-hoo!", both Ace and Deuce.

"Now, if we're going to apprehend this culprit, we need to stay a step ahead of him.", Riddle.

"And we're gonna do that HOW, exactly...?", Grim.

"By predicting which student will be targeted next and covertly following him.  Should the culprit strike, we will protect the target and then immediately pursue the attacker.", Riddle.

"The stakeout strategy, then.", Kalin.

"Bingo!  I've already identified a number of potential targets from among the most promising players.  I'll form a group on Magicam so we can coordinate our efforts and then give you access to the album.", Cater.

Since I don't have a phone in this world, Cater came to show me on his phone.

"Whoa, Cater, this is a ton of information!", Deuce.

"Now, let's move!", Cater.

"Let's nail this creep!", Grim.

We made our way out, and Cater ushers me by the shoulder to go.  I just hope we can find him before he hurts another student...