Episode 4-2: The Headmage's Cheer!

When we arrived in the Mirror Chamber, it was more packed than expected.

*murmur*

"Wow, it's already packed with students going home.", Deuce.  "Hah, they all look so antsy.  Now then, where's the headmage?", Ace.

As we looked around the crowds, there was something that caught our eye.  But it wasn't in a good way...

"All right, everyone.  Announce your destination to the Dark Mirror and keep a tight hold on your belongings.  If you let go for any reason while in transit, your luggage will get spirited away elsewhere.  If you have any possessions you absolutely cannot afford to risk losing, send them by post from the school store.", Crowley.

"He's in total party mode!", all of us reacted.

"Wearing an aloha shirt in the middle of winter?!  He's obviously ready to go on a tropical vacation!", Ace.  "He's not even trying to hide it.", Deuce.  "I've now seen it all...", Kalin.

"Hey, Headmage!  We gotta talk!", Grim.

"Why, hello.  What brings your merry little band here?", Crowley.

"Have you planned for our food situation over the break?", Kalin.

*(!) Are you actually trying to find a way home for me? (!)*

"Ah...  Ahhh, yes!  Of course I've planned for it!  What kind of headmage would I be otherwise?  Why, I was just about to make arrangements online to have food delivered to you!", Crowley.

"In other words, you were gonna leave us to starve.  I'm guessin' you ain't even tryin' to find a way home for Kalin, either.", Grim.

"How rude.  I most certainly am.  In fact, I'll be spending the winter break expanding my investigation area to a tropical land I've never visited before.  That's how deeply my diligent streak runs.", Crowley.

"Yeah, coulda fooled me...", Kalin.

"You don't look dressed for an investigation to me.", Ace.  "What he said!  You look ready to go soak up the sun!", Grim.

"How could you suggest that?  I've only clad myself in appropriate attire for my venture.  When in a foreign land, do as the locals do.  Escaping winter's frigid bite to kick back in a hammock and sip coconut juice while gazing at the tranquil ocean waves...  I have NO such refined and indulgent vacation plans whatsoever, I assure you.", Crowley.

"What an incredibly specific denial...", Deuce.  "It ain't fair for you to have all the fun!  I wanna go on a tropical vacation too.  Take us with you!", Grim.

"Grim!  That's not the point here!", Kalin.

"What?  But that would spoil my delightful getaway from-- ah, ahem!  This investigation will be dangerous.  Yes, very dangerous.  Best that I handle it alone.  Besides, I'd much prefer if you stayed on campus.  I have a critical job for you, as a matter of fact.  It's so critical, the very survival of Night Raven College hinges upon it.", Crowley.

"Oh boy, here we go...", Kalin.

Already predicting what he was gonna say, I secretly rolled my eyes.

"Should you take on this job, your holiday provisions will be provided in full.  I'll even arrange for a holiday feast.  Roast turkey, cake, a gingerbread house as big as your head...  In fact, I'll throw in some piping hot spare ribs and mashed potatoes to sweeten-- er, salt?--- the deal.  What do you say?", Crowley.

Hearing him offer spare ribs made me slightly tempted but I try my best to hold it off because I know what comes next...

"Mrah!  Sounds like a one-way ticket to a food coma!  H-hmph.  I guess I'll hear you out, at least.", Grim.

"Dude, you are a born sucker.", Ace.  "Yeah, no kidding...", Kalin.

*(!) Nailed it! (!)*

"Ahem.  The fires in our campus cafeteria and fireplaces are all furnished via fire fairy magic.  They've lived in the cafeteria fireplace for many years...  But if we don't supply them with dry firewood every day, they will fade away.  Should the fire fairies disappear, our whole campus would be gripped with cold every winter.", Crowley.

"You know, I've wondered how the school stays so warm without central air.", Deuce.  "So it was magic.  Kinda obvious in hindsight.", Ace.

"Normally, our kitchen ghost takes over fire duty during extended school breaks...  But this year, his daughter had a baby, so he's visiting the netherworld to see his first grandchild.  Thus, I would like you two to handle things in his absence.", Crowley.

"Ghosts can have grandchildren?", Kalin.

*(!) If that's what it takes to get our meals... then so be it. (!)*

"Look, it was a miracle of love, okay?  Don't sweat the details.  More to the point, someone needs to handle fire duty if you want to stay warm over the holidays.  Just by throwing firewood into the fireplace every day, you'll stay both warm AND well-fed.  That is, as we say, two birds with one stone.  Oh, what a generous deal!", Crowley.

"Y'know, this does sound like kind of a gimme compared to the usual messes you dump in our laps.", Grim.

"Doesn't it, though?  You would be surprised at just how kind I can be.", Crowley.

*(!) Your right, I would be surprised. (!)*

"Oh yes, and since I'll be out for a while, I'd like to give this to you.", Crowley.

He pulls out of his shirt pocket, and hands me in my hand a device.

"Ooh, a smartphone?", Ace.

"You can use this to call me in the event of any emergency.  It is to be used ONLY for emergencies, mind you.  Do try not to burn through its data cap browsing Magicam or the like.  Now then, if you'll excuse me, I have many students to transport home to their families.  I'll leave the rest in your capable hands.  Ah, I'd better make certain to peruse some tourist pamphlets before I set out.  Goodness gracious, I'm so very busy...", Crowley.

*(!) Well, I guess having a way to communicate is better than nothing. (!)*

"Myah ha ha!  Now I get to chow down on a fancy feasts over the holidays!", Grim.

"I still get the feeling you just took a sucker's deal, but hey, whatever floats your boat.", Ace.

From a distance, I could hear upcoming footsteps.

"Hey, guys!  You can stop standing in the middle of the hall and blocking traffic now!", Ruggie.