Episode 1-25: A Sad Little Child!

The past memories of Riddle Rosehearts is revealed...

Shedding light on his past misfortunes that would lead to his present self...

~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Riddle's Past~

"Happy eighth birthday, Riddle.  This year's birthday cake is a low-sugar recipe made with nuts and lecithin-rich soy flour to improve your cerebral function.", says Riddle's mother.  "Thank you.  But, Mom...  Just once, I'd like to try one of those tarts covered with bright-red strawberries...", young Riddle.  "Absolutely not!  Those tarts are monstrously unhealthy.  I might as well feed you poison!  Even just a single slice would exceed your recommended daily intake of sugar.  Now, dinner tonight will be a tuna saute rich in DHA and omega-3 fatty acids.  Now that you're eight, you calorie intake should be 600 kilocalories per meal, so don't eat more than 100 grams of it.  Understood?", Riddle's mother.  "Yes, mom.", young Riddle.

~~~~~~~~~~

"I'd always wanted to try one of those tarts with the bright-red strawberries.  The local cake shop had them in the window.  They shined at me like forbidden jewels.", Riddle.

~~~~~~~~~~

"That's enough classical magic study for today.  Your homework is to read the first fifty pages of the philosophy of language book referenced in today's magical philosophy texts.  You may now have one hour of independent study before your potionology lesson.", Riddle's mother.  "Thank you, Mother.", young Riddle.  "I need some time to prepare the lesson materials.  I will see you in one hour, okay?", Riddle's mother.

~~~~~~~~~~

"I was studying every possible subject, scheduled down to the minute.  When I didn't understand something, the lesson was extended until I did.  That was my "normal.", Riddle.

~~~~~~~~~~

"...Is something knocking on the window?", young Riddle.  "Whoa, he heard us!", young Trey.  "Hey, come play with us!", young Chenya.  "Who are you?", young Riddle.  "I'm Chenya, and that's Trey.  Let's all play croquet!  Oh, but it's LOTS of fun!", young Chenya.  "I can't.  I'm supposed to be doing independent study, and I have a lot of homework to do.", young Riddle.  "Independent study" means you pick what to do, right?  My grandpa says play is a form of study!", young Chenya.  "Just play with us for a little bit!", young Trey.  "...O-okay...  Just a little, though!", young Riddle.  "Hey, what's your name?", young Trey.  "R-Riddle.  Riddle Rosehearts.", young Riddle.

~~~~~~~~~~

"I had the best time playing with Trey and Chenya.  We did so many things I'd never done before.  They taught me lots of things I didn't know.  After that, I snuck out of my room every day to play with them during independent study time.", Riddle.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Whaaat?  You've never even tried a strawberry tart?  They're out of this world.", young Chenya.  "Yeah.  My mom says sugar is basically poison.", young Riddle.  "I mean, you probably shouldn't eat too much of it, but calling it "poison" is kinda... yikes.  You know, my family runs a cake shop.  Let's go get a tart right now!", young Trey.  "Really?  But...  I shouldn't.", young Riddle.  "Just one slice.  It'll be fine.", young Trey.  "One slice for YOU, maybe.  I want a whole one!", young Chenya.

~~~~~~~~~~

"A bright-red strawberry tart on a white plate.  To me, it shined more brightly than any gem could.  That first bite was so sweet.  It tasted like nothing I'd ever eaten before.  With each bite, I became more entranced... and completely lost track of time.", Riddle.

~~~~~~~~~~

"I cannot believe this!  Not only are you cutting independent study time, but I find you eating a mountain of sugar?!  Those two hoodlums must have incited this behavior.  You must never play with them again!", Riddle's mother.  "I'm sorry, Mother!  I promise, it will never happen again.", young Riddle sobs.  "Be quiet!  You've broken the rules, and I'll not hear another word from you.  Clearly, you're not able to handle the freedom of independent study.  I need to keep a closer eye on you.", Riddle's mother.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Because I broke the rules, my favorite part of my day was taken away from me.  I vowed to never break my mother's rules again.  After all, she was the most accomplished mother in the city, and therefore, the most correct.  But Mom...  Why?  Why does my heart hurt so much?  I want to eat a tart!  It's my birthday, so can't I have some just this once?  I want to play outside all day long!  I want to make lots and lots of friends!  Tell me, Mom, please...  What rule do I need to follow to make this pain go away?", Riddle.

~~~~~Riddle's Past End~~~~~

In the darkness, the past was explained.  But the pain was still there holding on all these years.  Only can they make it go away.... is by letting people in.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Riiiiiddle!", a voice called out to him.  A familiar friend.