Episode 4-26: Feeling the Heat!

Each of us took turns playing against one another.  I played against Floyd a few times and lost each time but it didn't bother me.  Jamil and Azul kept going at it a couple of times.  But when Floyd got bored with me he wanted to play a few rounds against Jamil.  Azul then played against Grim since he was still eager to play.  I enjoyed playing, but I also enjoyed watching the games playout with them.  When I decided to watch them, I was ordered by Jamil to drink water to keep my core temperature stable.

For now, my temperature didn't rise up, nor did any changes on my arms appeared again for now.  But watching them play was distracting enough so I don't worry myself or show it to the others.

"WOO!  I win!  That's three for me!", Floyd.

"You're tough competition when you're focused, Floyd.", Jamil.

"Mrgyah!  I lose again!  You're relentless, Azul.", Grim.

"That brings me up to five to zero.  I'd be an affront to the Board Game Club with anything less, of course.  Meanwhile, Jamil's at... two to three, I see.", Azul.

"Hm?  Oh, yes.  It's been awhile since I last played.  I suppose I've gotten rusty.  Back in the old days, Kalim would spend hours a day making me play me with him, insisting on going until he won a game.  Despite his middling skill.  Imagine that.", Jamil.

*(!) So that's why I remember that word.  In the vision, Kalim kept calling out to Jamil as a kid to play. 

But I think there was more to that. (!)*

"Ah, I see.  Mm, yes, that would explain it.", Azul.

"Explain what?  You sure love your cryptic little asides.", Jamil.

"Forget I said anything.  So, you and Kalim essentially grew up together, correct?", Azul.

"We've been together for as long as I can remember, yes.  Speaking of which, you three Octavinelle boys have been friends since childhood, I hear?", Jamil.

"Thaaat's what they say!", Floyd.

"What's that s'posed to mean?  You're talkin' like you're not even one of 'em.", Grim.

"We've been classmates ever since we started elementary school...  But personally, I barely knew Azul existed until just before we started middle school.  So I wouldn't exactly call us childhood friends.", Floyd.

"You barely knew your own classmate existed until you graduated?", Kalin.

"I was a rather quiet boy myself.  I hardly ever stood out in class.", Azul.

"You stood out in other ways, though.  Not many guys could claim to be as cute and round as--", Grim.

Azul then grabbed Grim by the scruff and held his mouth shut.

"Grim, I believe we've been over this multiple times.  You are NOT to dredge up the forbidden lore!", Azul.

"I told you he couldn't keep a secret.", Kalin.  I whisper to Azul as he holds Grim tight with frustration.  Grim then glared at me for that comment I made.

"Yet here you are now, presiding over them as housewarden.  You have a curious relationship.", Jamil.

"Y'think?  I just do what Azul says 'cause it's more fun that way.", Floyd.  "I strongly doubt Jade or Floyd have any binding allegiance to me.  This is all an elaborate game of pretend to them.", Azul.

"Your relationship is getting more confusing by the minute.", Jamil.

"Yeah, no kidding...", Kalin.

"If I made a poor choice as leader-- or even simply a boring one...  They would turn on me instantly and seize the housewarden seat for themselves.  Not that I'd lose if they challenged me, of course.", Azul.  "We ain't got any plans to challenge him, either... for now, anyway.  Aha ha!", Floyd.

"So essentially, the three of you are all equals in each other's eyes.", Jamil.

"Yeah.  We stick with him now 'cause it's fun.  If it stops bein' fun, we drop him like a bad habit.  Easy.  It ain't like the vice housewarden is the housewarden's servant or nothin'.  It's a pretty normal relationship, if you ask me.", Floyd.

"Normal, you say.  I suppose that concept is lost on me.  I've always been loyal of the Asim house.  And that will likely never change.", Jamil.

"......", Kalin.

*(!) I could be wrong, but seeing Jamil's eyes as he said those words.  It was almost the same look in his eyes as I saw him as a kid. (!)*

"......", Azul.

Then a hurdle of footsteps came our way into the lounge.

"Oh, hey, guys.  Are you still gaming?", Kalim.

"GAH!", Jamil.

"What's this?  Ooh, Mancala!  That takes me back.  I used to play it for hours on end with Jamil.", Kalim.  "I thought you went to bed, Kalim.  Why would you...  *Ahem*  I've told you not to wonder around by yourself.  What if someone abducted you?", Jamil.  "You're such a worrywart, Jamil.  Chill.  Jades' been with me the whole time.", Kalim.  "Wait, JADE?", Jamil.

"Yes, hello.  I've been keeping Kalim company.", Jade.

"Y-you...", Jamil.

"Kalim is so generous.  He's been teaching me aaall sorts of things...", Jade.

"Answer me.  What did you do to Kalim?", Jamil.

"What did I... do?  I was just having a pleasant conversation with him.  Isn't that right, Kalim?", Jade.

"Yep.  I was just showing him around the storeroom.", Kalim.  "Gh...!", Jamil.  "Oh yeah, Jamil!  You know that silver and blue carpet we brought with us when we came here?  Do you know where it is?  I couldn't find it for the life of me.", Kalim.  "We're leaving, Kalim.", Jamil.  "Huh?  Why?", Kalim.

I didn't expect his tone to change so quickly.

"Back to your room, now!", Jamil.  "Whoa!  Okay, okay!  You don't have to pull my arm out of its socket!  Sorry, Jade.  I'll get you the carpet some other time!", Kalim.

"Certainly.  I'm sure we'll be seeing more of each other very soon...  Heh heh heh.", Jade.

As Kalim and Jamil take their leave.

*(!) Black ink spills a few more drops. (!)*

"Hrghh...", Kalin.

A sudden pain in my chest I felt for a quick moment.  I put my hand to my chest to help endure it as it passes.

"Woah, Kalin, you ok?  Somethin' eatin' ya?", Grim.

He comes to me as he notices, also bringing the attention of the Octavinelle boys as well.

"Yeah, I'm fine.  It's nothing.", Kalin.

"Hmm...", Azul.

Jade was also silent as he didn't say anything.  But both Azul and Jade exchanged silent glances without Kalin's notice as she drinks her water.  When Jade gave the look to Azul as to what to do, Azul silently shook his head as to not go into it for now.  Floyd, on the other hand, was just silent as he looked at Kalin.

Shortly after she finished her water to sooth the after-pain, Kalin gathered her washed clothes and they all proceeded to head back to the room for the night.