Chapter 29: 油条 (Deep-Fried Bread stick)

After a good night's sleep, Zhong Ziqi woke up the next day to find the sky outside was dark. It looked like it was going to rain. He hurriedly took all the mushrooms and cucumbers that were drying outside back inside and covered the firewood in the courtyard so that it would not get wet.

In the morning, Zhong Ziqi had no appetite, so he made a pot of porridge with bamboo shoots in oil. When Zhao Zheng'an came over to eat, Zhong Ziqi swore he saw a hint of disgust in his eyes. Now, thinking proudly of it, he was the chef, so no matter what, he (ZZA) had to eat whatever he cooked.

Zhao Zheng'an scratched his head, he hadn't had congee for a long time, since he was living with his wife he had three meals of white rice and at least one meal of meat every two days, so he was really surprised to see congee all of a sudden, but he still sat down and ate obediently. Although he was a picky eater, that was only if there was meat, if not, he could eat anything.

After eating, Zhong Ziqi sent Zhao Zheng'an away. He made a small bowl of flour, mixed it with salt and yeast, covered it with a lid and put it aside to wait for the flour to rise. To make it quicker, he went back to the room and took some clothes to cover it.

Then there was nothing else to do, it was about to rain as the sky was getting too gloomy,he also couldn't do much.

"Zheng'an, stop playing and get the chicks back, it's going to rain!" Zhong Ziqi shouted out into the yard.

"Got it!"

Zhao Zheng'an, who had been playing happily with Da Hei and Xiao Hei, went inside the chicken coop to catch the chicks gladly and diligently. The chicks were now almost the size of a man's palm, they ran in circles (unafraid) before he could catch them all. He put them in the nest and brought them inside. Two small dogs woofed behind him.

Before noon, the sky was filled with rain. First it drizzled then it clattered.

(Tl: the original raw one actually using the sound/ onom.patter of rain then the crashing sound of the heavy rain falling down)

Zhong Ziqi and Zhao Zheng'an sat in the house listening to the rain outside. No one spoke in the house except for the barking of the dogs and the chattering of the chickens, but the silence was better than the sound since they did not need to speak to prove their presence (existence) because they knew in their hearts that the person (beside) was there. It was a strange feeling, however it made them enjoy this moment.

The rain comes and goes quickly in summer,so after an hour it finally stops. The air has a different kind of freshness after the rain. The dark clouds cleared before the sun peeked out from the clouds with a warm glow.

After the rain, the roads were wet and grimy so Zhong Ziqi gave strict orders to Zhao Zheng'an together with his two restless dogs not to go out and run around. Zhao Zheng'an nodded his head feeling depressed.

"Be good, I'll cook you something delicious tonight." Zhong Ziqi coaxed him.

As a result, Zhao Zheng'an's eyes lit up again. In an instant, he was rejuvenated. Food was indeed a strong substance, it worked well for whoever tried this method.

It was always good to feel lazy on a rainy day. Zhong Ziqi and Zhao Zheng'an eat when they are hungry.After eating, they lazily take a nap. In the blink of an eye, the afternoon was almost over.Zhong Ziqi remembered the dough he had made in the kitchen so he left Zhao Zheng'an to his own amusement, while he fixed his clothes and went into the kitchen.

What can you do with flour? There are many things that can be done with it, such as steamed stuffed buns(bao) and steamed rolls (mantou) and many other things.