Chapter 61: 八卦 (Gossip)

"Hey, Ziqi, have you heard that the Zhao family, I mean Wang Cui Hua's family,is said to have rushed to Wang Village some time ago – to Wang Fu Gui's family to talk about matchmaking."

Zhao Ning gossiped about the village gossip with Zhong Ziqi.

In winter, it gets dark early. Zhong Ziqi and the others came back home early too. After eating, Zhong Ziqi wore the cotton-padded jacket and lazily burned the potatoes in the fire pan of his house when he was bored. It was getting colder and colder today, as they were about to enter the winter. The cold wind hurt his face.

Zhong Ziqi felt that the winter weather here was much colder than the modern time. It was so cold to the bone that he wanted to stay in the warm room forever and not go out.

"And then what?"

Zhong Ziqi asked curiously. He had been in this world for a long time and had unconsciously picked up a taste for gossip. Moreover, he also wanted to know what happened afterwards. He remembered that shortly after Zhao Zheng'an had left home, Wang Cui Hua had come to see him again but he had forcefully rebuffed him. In a stern way, he threatened him harshly that if there was any more trouble he would make his son marry someone with a crooked nose and slanted eyes!

[a crooked nose and slanted eyes : this metaphor is often used to describe people with ugly faces.]

He also warned the Zhong family. This was also the reason that made it so peaceful.

Wang Cui Hua was scared, Zhao Zheng Hong was his lifeblood, he could not let this black-hearted family ruin him no matter what. His family knew everyone in town and he, merely a civilian, had to be afraid of the consequences. Zhong Ziqi and Zhao Zheng'an had no children, so naturally they were not afraid of anything.

In the end, Wang Cui Hua left dejectedly, intending to go home and talk to his child's father to tell him that it was better not to mess with these two people, lest, behind their backs, they play some kind of dirty trick,as their son was still expecting to marry a ger from a good family.

"I heard that Wang's ger didn't like him at all. He even ridicules them thoroughly and sarcastically that their family's faces turned green (pale)."

Zhao Ning said gloatingly (rejoicing in other people's misfortune) , he also didn't like the Zhao's family's appearance of being 'the toad who wants to eat swan meat'.

[ I hope you guys remember what this idiom means, okay because I don't want you guys to go back to the previous chapter to search for what it means ; It is a metaphor for people who have no self-knowledge and are bent on finding things that are impossible to obtain.]

Zhong Ziqi flipped over the almost-cooked potatoes and asked, "What did he (that ger from the wang family) say?"

Zhao Ning recalled what he had heard from other people,then he adjusted his voice to imitate : "I don't want get engaged to him, look at his 'ferret face', by just one look,he is a scoundrel that 'imitate the dog and steal the chicken', and 'only know to eat but lazy to work'. Again, look at his lecherous look, it's so disgusting. I can't even eat my meal anymore, and I don't think I'll be able to sleep at night!"

[尖嘴猴腮/ Ferret face ; lit. One's mouth sticks out and one has a chin like an ape's : used to describe the ugly appearance of people]

[偷雞摸狗 tōu jī mō gǒu : to imitate the dog and steal chicken (idiom) / to pilfer / to dally with women / to have affairs]

Zhao Ning couldn't help but to hold one's belly with both hands as he said that and laughed out loud.

Zhong Ziqi poked his head helplessly, "How did you know that's what he said? And you said it as if you've seen 'by your nose and your eyes' before."