Chapter 78: 盖房 (Building a house)

Since they were planning to build a house, they had to choose a good place, so Zhao Zheng'an and Zhong Ziqi discussed it over and finally decided to build the house next to their current house. Zhong Ziqi didn't want to build it in the (center of the) village since it would be annoying when he thought of all the people watching them when they went in and out of the house.

The back of the village was really peaceful without all the annoying people and problems. Here was simply their territory.

Zhao Zheng'an also thought the land in the back was good. But to live here, security had to be planned.

"Wife, what do you think, should we build another room? Our stewed meat is made here. It's only about half an hour from the town to here using the carriage."

Zhao Zheng'an sat on the Kang bed and asked Zhong Ziqi who was lying lazily in his arms.

Zhong Ziqi squinted his eyes and thought, "That's also fine! We get a lot of vacant land around us anyway. Regarding the deed of the house and other things, just do as you see fit."

They originally wanted to set up the stewed meat workshop in the town to make it more convenient. However, it wasn't easy to find a house in the town. Many houses were at initial prices and it could be found everywhere but either Zhao Zheng'an didn't like it or the price of the house was especially high.Even if Zhao Zheng'an and Zhong Ziqi were rich, they didn't want to be the spendthrift and foolish. That was why the marinated meat workshop didn't have a place to settle in yet. The extent of it had been maintained at 'Quite Delicious'.

The two of them felt that it was not a good idea to continue like this, so since they could not find the suitable one, they could build it themselves! Apart from being a little troublesome, they could save a lot of money. Buying a house in town would cost them a hundred taels or more, but by building it themselves, they would only have to pay for the bricks and tiles, the labour, etc. But these costs usually did not cost that much money.

But it would just require a lot of effort for the various restaurants to purchase the goods when the moment comes, but there was no worry about selling good things, as long as it was good, he would not be short of people to buy it. Even if it was far away, Zhong Ziqi believed that those people would still come and looking for it.

Now that he had decided to start building the house, Zhao Zheng'an began to get busy. He first went to the Yamen (government office in feudal China) and bought all the land deeds for the area around his house. In fact, the villagers didn't even think about buying land deeds when they built their houses. Basically, they just built their houses wherever there was vacant land, then their house was there. The county magistrate could not possibly oversee so many people, so most of the county magistrates just turned a blind eye and let it go.

The main reason why Zhao Zheng'an wanted to buy back the land deed was because the area around their house was originally old and had people living in it, so if one day after the house was built, someone came and told them that the place was theirs, then they would be pestered and pestered which was troublesome. So he might as well go through the formalities to avoid any future problems.

After getting the deeds, he found some masons in the village. He also found some people he knew in the town. A few of them were the ones who had done the work for the compound last time, altogether, there were more than ten people.

Once all the people were found, the work began.More than ten people arrived at around seven o'clock in the morning and started working straight away. Zhao Zheng'an and Zhong Ziqi paid them full for their work,but naturally they also provided lunch for them.

It was this meal that made these workers so satisfied that they wanted to come to work every day.

Zhong Ziqi naturally wouldn't be foolish enough to cook dishes with generous amounts of meat and fish. At best, there were a few pieces of meat in the sour vegetable soup(酸菜汤) once in a while.There were also stewed cabbage vermicelli (白菜炖米分条) and so on, with two big white steamed buns. It looked very simple but in the mouths of these workers, it was really delicious. Zhong Ziqi was always generous with the oil and the seasoning in cooking the meal, no family had ever spent so much oil and seasoning on this simple dish, so even his ordinary dish can attract a lot of praise.